Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

2008 jeep grand cherokee 3.0 diesel looks like rear main…

Customer Question
2008 jeep grand cherokee...

2008 jeep grand cherokee 3.0 diesel looks like rear main leak replaced rear main but leak is still there

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Oil dripping when vehicle started coming from between motor and transmission

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Jeep
2/21/2016
Jeep Mechanic: roybelding, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
roybelding
roybelding, ASE Certified Technician

good evening my name is ***** ***** I will assist

if the rear main is still leaking it could be from 2 other issues. the old seal can wear a mark on the surface of the crank and the seal will not seal. using a seal repair kit works well for that. the other reason is a worn rear main bearing. the rear of the crank wobbles from the worn bearing and the seal leaks.

Roy

Is it a common issue with these units
What is more common for a oil leak in the back of these units
What is the most common cause of oil leak in this vehicle from the back
Jeep Mechanic: Robert R, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 28+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

On a 2008 Grand Cherokee with a 3.0l diesel it is more common for a leak from the engine oil cooler to be leaking from the bell housing area. The oil cooler is mounted in the valley between the cylinder heads. There are weep holes in the block that direct any leakage from the oil cooler to drain out in the bell housing...

I can post some pics for you if you like showing the oil cooler and oil drainage path if you like. Let me know.

To fix this you must replace the engine oil cooler and o ring seals. This requires to remove the intake manifolds for access to the oil cooler. If you need a procedure, let me know....

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

Could you send the pics and procedure to replace the oil cooler and seals .thanks

Here are some pics for now...

Click here

Click here

Click here

Give me a bit to round up a procedure...

Thank you,

Robert

Here is the removal and installation procedures, let me know if you need any of the details in the document links.

Removal

Installation

Thank you,

Robert

______________________________________

Please keep in mind, If I haven't clearly answered your question and you need additional info, please ask "before" you Rate my Answer.

Remember, RATING is REQUIRED to credit me for helping you! -- Please don't forget to Rate my service as OK Service or better. It's only then that I am credited... A "Poor" or "Bad Service" rating does not automatically result in a refund so if you would rather have a refund, please reply and let me know BEFORE rating and I will submit a refund request with Customer Service on your behalf...

Please remember that this site operates on the honor system... Making sure that your expert is paid for good answers is what allows experts to continue working for you and others...

Let me know if you need additional info on this concern, I'll be here for additional questions if needed..

Thank you,

Robert