Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

I had a Drained (new Battery), went to charge, heard a

Customer Question
Dave, HI. I had...

Dave, HI. I had a Drained (new Battery), went to charge , heard a clicking and as it charged The front fan started to turn, Which killed battery. Disconnected Neg. Could this be the fan relay. Just got the POS out of the shop. No error codes

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

As the battery started charging you could visually see the fan turn. Had a good enough charge to start, it turned over yet would not start. A reall good deal has turned into (SO FAR) a $ 3000.00 Nightmare. Only 105.000 miles

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Jeep
2/19/2016
Jeep Mechanic: roybelding, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
roybelding
roybelding, ASE Certified Technician

good evening my name is ***** ***** I will assist

what year and model???

Roy

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4 by 4

ok, thanks disconnect the battery cables while charging the battery. low voltage from the dead battery can cause the issue with the fans, low voltage does all kinds of crazy things. see what happens after the battery is charged

why was it in the shop and why

I did That, The Battery is being drained !

ok, how long does it take to drain??? what have you done to try to find the drain???

and what was the work done at the shop???

Roy

I am conversing with a computer. You see, I am a 100% disabled veteran and am 59 years old. If you are a human I will tell you When I was 19, worked on The SPS-49 Radar System. So tell me, is it the small fan relay Near the small fan or the in line small Relay.

you are talking to a human male with 50 years in the field and retired. my father was in WW2 aboard BB57 USS South Dakota. I am a real person

Roy

Thank you Roy, My Father was a WW2 Navy Pilot. He is 90 and still doing well, Just bought a pontoon for fishing, That will make it easy for both of us, as he comes up and spends summers with me. I pulled the relays in the fan chain yet small fan still runs. Could it be the relay they put near the right bumper where only a magician and dirt can get too. I am only here in N. Illinois for my brother who has terminal Cancer, down to only my Camry, Which everybody (THINKS) is theirs. Thanks again Roy.

yes, it definitely could be. did you pull that relay to see if it stopped???

Roy

that is an electronic relay that was a very common failure. I would start there with that

Roy