Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

We are looking at a 1997 Jeep Wrangler, daughter. It seems

Customer Question
We are looking at a...
We are looking at a 1997 Jeep Wrangler, for our daughter. It seems to be in good shape but the first owners, towed it behind their motor home and a friend mentioned to me, that if the towing wasn't done correctly, it could mess up the transmission/transfer case. I am researching how to tell if those are bad and if so, how much the repairs would be.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Jeep
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/18/2016
Jeep Mechanic: tim's auto repair, Mechanic replied 1 year ago
tim's auto repair

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you

is it an automatic or a standard transmission?

does it have the mechanical shift transfer case[stick shift]?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Tim
It's an automatic.

ok

as long as the transfer case was in neutral,,it would not hurt the transmission,,the transfer case runs in its own oil..

i would think it is fine

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Could it be towed, of it was not in neutral?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is there any way for us to tell, if the transmission or transfer case, have damage? We are supposed to see it tomorrow.

i would think he would know to tow it with the case in neutral..

there would be no way to tell unless the drive train isnt working or making a noise

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It seemed to drive fine and I didn't hear any noises, so I'm gonna hope for the best. My husband can drive it and make a determination. I will forward your info.
Would it be smart to have a mechanic look at it, before we buy?
Thanks

it is always a good idea to have a mechanic to look it over if the seller is willing to let you

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok and if he won't let us, that's a red flag! If there is something wrong, is it expensive to fix?

that would depend on what is wrong if anything..

to replace a transmission isnt cheap..

a transmission job may cost around $2000 at your transmission shop

again,i would think the guy knew how to tow it and is likely nothing wrong

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Wow, ok! I think we'll let a mechanic take a look before we buy this vehicle. Thanks for the information, Tim.

you are very welcome

thanks

tim's auto repair
tim's auto repair
tim's auto repair, Mechanic