Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

I need help with a ticking noise I'm having with my 2011

Customer Question
Jeep Grand Cherokee....
I need help with a ticking noise I'm having with my 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Jeep
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The noise is heard from the passenger side even after 12 lifters have been replaced.
2/16/2016
Jeep Mechanic: Brad, Jeep Dealership Tech replied 1 year ago
Brad
Brad, Jeep Dealership Tech

Good evening and welcome to JustAnswer!!

My name is ***** ***** I have worked for a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep dealership for 18 years and I will do my best to help.

Was the lifters and rockers replaced? If not you will need to pull the valve cover again and inspect all the rocker arms as well as the lifters, and if you had a bad lifter it will eat the camshaft up too so you will need to check things over again..

If you need anymore assistance feel free to reply and don't forget the RATING before leaving the site!!

Have a great day,

Brad

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The technician said both the rockers and camshaft were inspected and are fine. We're puzzled on why this issue is happening to a engine with only 50,000 miles and all of the oil changes were done on time. This issue initiated after the last oil change if that helps.

How about the lifters/tappets? I have repaired many of these and we are having issues with the 3.6 head and misfires. You will need to recheck the lifters/tappets, rockers and see if the camshaft has been chewed up. Are you doing the work or is it warranty?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Jeep diagnosed it as an issue with the lifters which were just replaced. The warranty expired in September so I'm forced to do the repairs. Now after starting the car once the lifters were replaced, the ticking persist on the passenger side and metal flakes were found in the oil.

You will need to pull the valvecover to inspect and if our 100% sure the noise is coming from there don't put the valvecover back on until you find the issue..

Have a great day,

Brad

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Both camshaft and rockers were inspect in which they were clean with no abrasions. 12 lifters on the passenger side were replace and ticking noise still persist. With valve cover is off the sound can be heard from the top and underneath. Unable to pinpoint...your thoughts???

If your 100% sure the noise is under the valvecover then I would not put it back together until you find the issue. I can't inspect it over chat so you will need to recheck everything.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Would you please be willing to call the technician directly and offer any suggestions?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also, would the ticking noise be the cause of the head even if the engine light has not come on yet?

Yes it can still tick and not set a code but if it's not repaired it will eventually cause a check engine light.

Brad
Brad
Brad, Jeep Dealership Tech