sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

2000 Cherokee Sport: Brake and tail lights not working. All

Customer Question

2000 Cherokee Sport: Brake and tail lights not working. All fuses are good
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Jeep. The Jeep Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: 2000 Cherokee Sport: Brake and tail lights not working. All fuses good.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Fuse & bulb check.
JA: Is there anything else the Jeep Mechanic should be aware of about your Jeep?
Customer: The wire harness that goes into the tail gate is frayed.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Jeep Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You may have a combination of problems. If there is damaged wiring you may have an open circuit or it may have shorted to ground and blew a fuse, yet that shouldn't be a fuse if the correct ones have been checked.

Do the license plate lights work?

Do the turn signals work in the rear?

Do the front park lamps work?

Was the damaged wire repaired? What color was it and at what location?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
License plate lights do not work.
Rear turn signals do not work.
Front parking lights and turn signals do work.
Wiring was repaired. Damage was in the harness that enters the top of the tail gate, presumably to run the wiper and washer pump, top middle break light, rear window defrost, etc.
The colors are black/white stripe, thick gauge and tests as a ground; white/orange stripe; brown.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me amend,
Rear turn signals do work.
Front parking lights do not work.
The rest is correct. Thanks.

You've checked fuses in the junction block as well as the power distribution center?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All fuses inside and under the hood. Is there some sort of module involved?

There are no modules involved.

Do you have a test light?