Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

2001 Cherokee. I've been chasing a missfire and shut off at…

Customer Question
2001 Cherokee. I've been chasing...
2001 Cherokee. I've been chasing a missfire and shut off at an idle for weeks. Numerous parts replaced. Coil plugs injectors. Fuel pressure is good. Harnesses checked. I'm lost here.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Jeep
I've also done the ecm. No used parts. All new. Plugs are fuel fowled pink.
2/14/2016
Jeep Mechanic: Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician

Welcome, my name is***** am a verified expert automobile technician. I, and all others like me are neither employees nor agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell our Expert knowledge to customers. I do my best to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, please let me know what you need from me so you’re satisfied with my efforts and reward me with a Positive Rating.

Well, I think we should take whatever information the ECM can give us to help us diagnose this stalling poblem; for example, we know misfires are about the worst thing that can happen, that's why the ECM will flag a corresponding code whenever it sees a misfire. Do you happen to know what that code or codes are?

Well before I worked on it in had a 301 303 and maybe one evap code.
Now it has none. But I did reset it. But nothing yet. However I have noticed the oil gauge seeming to spike on its own since plugs and wires have changed. It is moody and happens randomly. It stays spiked when it does act up leading me to believe that was electrical.
I ment plugs and injectors changed sorry

Thank you for that extra bit of information. Now, bear with me as I share my thought process on what could be happening; the ECM knows there is a misfire based on signals it gets from the crank sensor that tell it crank speed slowed down as a particular cylinder was firing. So what if the crank sensor was going bad and was no longer providing reliable information to the ECM? Could that be the reason why there are no current misfire codes?

Well, if on top of what I just stated, we add the fact that bad crank sensors are all too common on these vehicles, makes me think that's probably what we're dealing with. Why don't we give a new crank sensor a try and see what happens? Just make sure you get a good new part that comes with a felt or paper spacer and that you follow the install instructions in the box to the letter - no over tightening!

Please let me know how it runs afterwards.

Best Regards.

Yeah I hear that. I mean I've seen them come and go needing crank sensors. I've shook the wire a few times to make sure that it wasn't wiring. Do they really act intermittent like that sometimes? Sometimes this truck is great. Sometimes it's horrible and won't pass 5 mph. Sometimes the miss is only at an idle. It's wierd. When it does stall it's more like shutting it off then bogging down or choking.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

That's certainly what a bad sensor will do. It can drive you crazy because it's the computer's only source for those signals since there's no other sensor to compare crank speed or position.

Ok. I'll give it a go and let you know

Well, all I can say at this point is that I'm rooting for you. Go for it!

Juan...sorry I have been busy and haven't had time to post back. Crank sensor replaced with Mopar brand from dealer. No change. Took out champion platinum plugs which were still perfectly gapped and replaced with ngk. Probably 70% better. Dies at an idle still and it's very moody. Some days I can't sit at any lights. Some days I can sit at all of them. I know from this it's not mechanical and definately electrical. I shook all the harnesses to try and simulate a bad connection. Nothing. Only codes are the p0301 and p0303. That's it. Coil is new..but aftermarket. So I've ruled it out so far. But I'm running out of options here.

Is there any chance of you borrowing a scan tool capable of reading engine data so we can look at all the engine parameter id's when the engine is getting ready to stall? I mean, other than that, I'm just about out of options.

I'm going to ask my buddy tomorrow to borrow one. I'll get back to you

Please let me know.

Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician