Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

I this is my 2nd seat on drivers side and it burned a hole…

Customer Question
I this is my...

I this is my 2nd seat on drivers side and it burned a hole in the upper part of seat, is there a relay for the seat that would hsve burned

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Jeep. The Jeep Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

Its winter time and I like the heated seats, turn on hot is to hot, so go to medium that gets to hot too. now a burn make again

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

Yes I just got a used seat

Mechanic's Assistant: Great! What have you tried so far?

Just replaced seat work great for a bit

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Jeep Mechanic should know about your Jeep?

Just don't know what seat is melting, that's why I thought there was a relay

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Jeep
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/13/2016
Jeep Mechanic: bill, jeep master tech replied 2 years ago
bill
bill, jeep master tech

you didn't say what kind of jeep you have and what year it is

2005 jeep liberty

there are no relays that stick the heated seats were electronically controlled by a module under the seat, (assuming this is a FACTORY install NOT an aftermarket one), the module controlled BOTH heaters the system is controlled by a timer and a temperature sensor, the sensor is inside the seat and part of the heating element, once the element reaches it's high limit the system switches to low then after a predetermined time it shuts off, a burn through is USUALLY caused my a break in the element which causes a localized overheat.

remember the elements are JUST LIKE electric heaters and basically a short which causes the heat so if there Is a break and the resistance changes there will be an overheat in that spot.

our ONLY big problem child was the GRAND CHEROKEE which had several recalls on the elements, that's because they used a carbon plastic element and not a traditional carbon fiber element

age is the most common cause of a heating element failure remember these things FLEX a lot as you get in and out of the seat and this flexing can cause them to break, HOWEVER that was the best available in 05

Ty for your help was just what i needed

thanks please stay warm and have a great weekend

and please remember this site is on the honor system once you are satisfied with the service you rate it, you have already paid to use the site all a rating does is allow the expert to be paid for his time and that comes out of the fee you paid to use the service

bill
bill
bill, jeep master tech