Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

My odometer displays a mileage however it also says “FUSE”

Customer Question
and my windshield wipers do...
My odometer displays a mileage however it also says “FUSE” and my windshield wipers do not work, however, there are no burned-out fuses. This is not an urgent situation, but I do not want to wait very long to get an answer because I have other things to do and I do not wait want to wait for my mechanic neighbor to come home in four hours.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Jeep
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
2/1/2016
Jeep Mechanic: moparfl, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
moparfl
moparfl, ASE Certified Technician

Thanks for using JA ?

The word fuse will come up in the odometer when the dome light is burnt out or the bulb has been removed. If the dome light works then you need to check the IOD fuse most of them have a plastic cover over them and the cover will need to be removed to be able to check that fuse.

I have 2 fuse boxes that I know of; one behind the glove b ox and one under the hood. Where is the ?IOD? that you refer too and does that have something to do with the wipers?
The dome light and possibly the underhood light? I removed it.

The IOD fuse is in the fuse box under the hood. Yes and can keep the wipers from working. Your wiper system on your jeep runs through a body computer and you will need a computer scan tool to be able to test the fuctions in this system.

I have 2 dome lights; would either one of the 2 cause the NO FUSE light to come on? I don't understand why anyone would need a light to tell you that their dome light is not working, but I have seen stranger things: I just don't remember when. I am done for tonight, I will scan it tomorrow evening and see what we have or don't have. Thamk you thus far!

Yes I agree but that's the way it is setup.

I like you if the light didn't work I don't need for the cluster to tell me fuse then I really don't have any idea what to look for but they have some Dodges that are setup the same way.

Both dome lights are out; I will start with seeing if they both burnt out at the same time, however, that would indicate a severe circuit overload. I will get back to you with the results of replacing both dome lights.

Ok I'll be waiting to hear back from you.

Well boss, I finally got a little time with the 05 Jeep Wrangler. I pulled both bulbs from the dome lights and they appear to be okay, however, have a very thin filament and my eyes are not as sharp as they once were, so I spent $2.95 and got two new ones at Napa.I installed both bulbs but to no avail. I still have no interior lights including the lights in the bottom of the mirror and the thermometer. Where do I go from here?I appreciate your help and I am certain that we will eventually get it figured out. I have not even begin to think about the windshield wipers and washer other than to wonder if I have a bad ground. Do you know right off the top of your head, grow the wiper motor grounds?I be looking to hear from you and tell them, be well!David Roesch
2005 Jeep Wrangler with 40,300 miles.
I hope you haven't forgotten me.
This is the report that I gave on you; possibly, it will be of value to you in the future.I must retract and apologize for some the negatives that I gave this fellow. I did not give him ten points because he used automotive jargon; if he had used an exact name as opposed to the jargon, it would have saved me some money. If he had use the term Ignition Off Draw as opposed to "IOD" (I did not know what IOD) I could have used the information I had at hand and made the very simple repair. Unfortunately, I had to pay someone to scan it and then tell me what "IOD" meant in layman's language.Also, when I went back with my results and further inquiry, I never heard from him again; that was both disappointing and frustrating!Was he correcting his diagnosis? Yes he was. Was he particularly helpful? Not really, because I did not know what he was talking about due to his use of automotive technical jargon. The point of inquiry was so I could do the repair myself, but he negated that opportunity, through the use of jargon and the lack of a response that I waited on for several days.If I should pay him for rendering a correct diagnosis, then I should pay him; if I should pay him because he help me achieve the goal of repairing it myself, that I should not pay. I still had to have a mechanic come to my place and do what I had inquired about, thus if I pay the advisor, will have paid twice; the advisor once and the mechanic you came to my house and diagnosed it once.It is always my desire to be honest and fair and everything that I do, thus, I will leave it up to the people at JustAnswer to decide if I got my money's worth or not.