Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

I have an 05 jeep grand Cherokee limited. its a5.7 hemi,and…

Customer Question
I have an 05 jeep...
I have an 05 jeep grand Cherokee limited. its a5.7 hemi,and it has a starting issue. I will drive it to a store or 2,come out of a store,turn the key,and nothing will happen.lights come on but nothing from the engine,not even a clicking noise.i will let it sit for an hour or so and it will start right up.no codes r present.i did replace the starter relay for kicks,no help.had it in the shop for 2 days and they found nothing.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Jeep
1/25/2016
Jeep Mechanic: Clayso, Master Automobile Technician replied 2 years ago
Clayso
Clayso, Master Automobile Technician

Hi There, I'm Clay a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience.

From your description most likely the ignition switch is at fault. If you don't hear the starter relay click when cranking there maybe no start signal to the relay from the switch. With a voltmeter and a T pin monitor the #86 terminal at the starter relay and verify there is power from the switch during cranking. The relay should be numbered at its terminals. A "T pin" is used to connect to the relay terminals with the relay installed. If there's power during cranking and the starter doesn't engage verify #85 is being grounded by the PCM during cranking. You may have to keep the voltmeter connected to the circuit to catch it when the vehicle won't crank. If you need a circuit diagram of the starter relay let me know.

I hope this information is helpful. If you have any questions or run into any problems let me know.

Kindly rate my assistance in a positive manner so I may have credit for helping you.
Positive ratings are greatly appreciated.
Thanks.