Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

My name is rob. issue I'm having is an overheating 2002

Customer Question
My name is *****...

My name is ***** ***** I'm having is an overheating 2002 Cherokee laredo overheating. I replaced waterpump, thermostat and a new fan relay under passenger side headlight. I cant get the fan to come on. I checked for power at the relay. I have a good 12v going to the fan relay and used a jumper to power the fan on. Fan kicks on once powered. I run the motor to operating temp and get 4v at one of the skinnier wires going to relay. Be advised this the 2nd relay from autozone I put in because I thought the 1st one I purchased was faulty was. What else could be the issue?

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Its a 4.0L I6

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Jeep
1/25/2016
Jeep Mechanic: Amedee, Jeep Technician replied 2 years ago
Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. Can I start by getting your VIN? Thank you!

Dont have it readily available

So the relay was replaced twice correct?

I bled air out of the system

Can you tell me the inputs to the relay?

4 wires going into. One thicker wire running directly to fan input, another thicker constant 12v and 2 thinner wires. One that receives signal from PCM and guess the other is a ground

So what signal is missing to the relay preventing it from coming activating?

It gets up to 4v on from the PCM but still doesnt turn the fan over

what color wire gets 4 volts?

Its the skinier one in the middle. Dont have it in front of me

I cant give you accurate information until you give me accurate information. I need to know which wire

Its the skinner green one

That comes from the PCM.

that one is giving me 4V

All of the time?

With engine running at operating temp

Ok, then the PCM is likely at fault.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "Excellent Service" for assisting you today.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

I will have to go to shop and swap with a known good PCM so I can rule out the PCM. Thank you.

Your welcome! Please dont forget to rate. Have a great night!!

You should see the rating sytem towards the bottom of the page.

Hello! It's Amedee from just answer. I see that you have viewed my last reply but have not responded back or rated my answer as of yet. I just wanted to see if you needed any further assistance or if your happy with my help. Please let me know!

.

Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician