Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

My name is ***** *****. I am not able to shift my 2006 Jeep…

Customer Question
My name is *****...

My name is ***** *****. I am not able to shift my 2006 Jeep Commander out of Park.

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I started my jeep with my automatic starter, and starting unburying it from the 2.5 ft of snow we got over the last 2 days... When I finished shoveling I jumped in, pressed the brake and shifted to reverse simultaneously and the car cut off because I forgot to put the keys in the ignition. I put it back in park and turned it on... Now it won't shift out of park.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Jeep
1/24/2016
Jeep Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 2 years ago
Pete, Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Have you tried to lock and unlock the doors with the remote or key then try starting it and see if it shifts out of park then at all?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

i have... Nothing.

Do you have a scan tool to check fault codes at all to see what codes are set with this issue here?

No.

Will it shift out of park if you start it with the remote start now then insert the key and see if it shifts then or when you start it with the key at all?

Nothing.

This is a tough one for me to answer myself fully from here but someone else here may have more info on this.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Jeep Mechanic: eauto, The Car Guy replied 2 years ago
eauto
eauto, The Car Guy

can you tell me if the brake lights work?

I'm not sure. I was out there alone before. Did you read all of the conversations? If they aren't working what could be the problem? What might solve it? Like i said before, i remote strted the truck, dug it out of 2.5ft of snow and when i jumped in it shifted to R, but cut off because i forgot to put the keys in the ignition. I pushed the shifter back to park, started the truck and it wouldn't switch out of Park...

IF the brake light fuse is blown it will not allow it to shift out of park...double check the fuse first...or have someone verify when you step on the brakes

Ok. i'll go check.

let me know

Brake lights work.

On the center console in between the shift and transfer case T handle there is a small black square cover. Lift it and actuate the brake interlock and see if that works. Its the back up to pressing the brake pedal to disengage the transmission interlock.

It doesn't have one. It is a 2006 Jeep Commander. Also, i have removed the shifter handle. My shifter is solid metal shifter... No cheap plastic rod to replace.

ADJUSTMENTS - BRAKE TRANSMISSION SHIFT INTERLOCK

The park interlock cable is part of the brake/shift lever interlock system. Correct cable adjustment is important to proper interlock operation. The gear shift and park lock cables must both be correctly adjusted in order to shift out of PARK.

ADJUSTMENT PROCEDURE

1. Remove floor console as necessary for access to the park lock cable.
  2. Shift the transmission into the PARK position.
  3. Turn ignition switch to LOCK position. Be sure ignition key cylinder is in the LOCK position. Cable will not adjust correctly in any other position.

NOTE: If the key will not turn to the LOCK position, pull up on the cable lock button and manually move the cable in and out until the key can be turned to the LOCK position.

1. Pull cable lock button up to release cable, if necessary.
  2. Ensure that the cable is free to self-adjust by pushing cable rearward and releasing.
  3. Push lock button down until it snaps in place. The lock should be flush to the surface of the cylindrical portion of the cable adjustment housing.

BTSI FUNCTION CHECK

1. Verify removal of ignition key allowed in PARK position only.
  2. When the shift lever is in PARK, the ignition key cylinder should rotate freely LOCK position. When the shifter is in any other position, the ignition key should not rotate to the LOCK position.
  3. Shifting out of PARK should not be possible when the ignition key cylinder is in the ACC position and the brake pedal is not depressed.
  4. Shifting out of PARK should not be possible while applying normal force on the shift lever and ignition key cylinder is in the ACC, ON, or START positions unless the foot brake pedal is depressed approximately 1/2 inch (12 mm) .
  5. Shifting out of PARK should not be possible when the ignition key cylinder is in the LOCK position, regardless of the brake pedal position.
  6. Shifting between any gears, NEUTRAL or into PARK may be done without depressing foot brake pedal with ignition switch in ACC, ON, or START positions.
  7. The floor shifter lever and gate positions should be in alignment with all transmission detent positions.
  8. Engine starts must be possible with shifter lever in PARK or NEUTRAL gate positions only. Engine starts must not be possible in any other gate positions other than PARK or NEUTRAL.
  9. With the shifter lever handle in the:
    • PARK position- apply forward force on center of handle and remove pressure. Engine start must be possible.
    • PARK position- apply rearward force on center of handle and remove pressure. Engine start must be possible.
    • NEUTRAL position- engine start must be possible.
    • NEUTRAL position, engine running and brakes applied- Apply forward force on center of shift handle. Transmission should not be able to shift into REVERSE detent.

try adjusting the cable..

Where is the floor console?
Also, my ignition has off, acc, on, start.

floor console is the shifter assembly and surroundings...