Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 year working in the automotive field as a Tech.
7276279

I pushed the start button on my 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited

Customer Question

I pushed the start button on my 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited and it immediately accelerated to 4000 RPM and continued to run at 4000RPM for 20 minutes or more. During that time I was unable to turn the car off or shift the transmission. When it finally returned to a normal idle, I could shift the gears but when i pressed the accelerator the engine did not respond in any gear including neutral. an hour later when the tow truck arrived, the driver was able to drive the car onto the flatbed truck.
The car is at the Dealer now and I know they are going to tell me that it was a software problem that they have corrected through reprogramming. My question is what kind of damage was done to the car's 4 cylinder engine while running at 4000 rpm for 20 minutes.
Also this fortunately happened on my driveway. What if it happens again in some remote area or worse while i'm driving.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

As long as the engine did not over heat and you had plenty of oil in it then there really should be no damaged caused as the engine is designed to handle this type of RPM even with no load on it. The system is designed to shut down the fuel pressure if the computer sees an over revving condition. I suspect as you do, this problem was likely a programming concern and you should be fine once they get it resolved.