Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

I have a grand Cherokee 2004,diesel engine 2.7 l Mercedes, I…

Customer Question
My name is***** have...

My name is***** have a grand Cherokee 2004,diesel engine 2.7 l Mercedes, I have the oil pressure fluctuating from 5 PSI to 52 PSI. Basically I know the Min. pressure should be 3 Bar or 44 PSI. I have already changed the oil pressure sensor,oil filter and oil engine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

At morning the pressure is half of the scale. the oil pressuire decreases as the engine temp increases

Mechanic's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Jeep Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?

Ok

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Jeep
1/19/2016
Jeep Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 2 years ago
Pete, Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If the engine is making any noises with this issue here this can indicate an internal mechanical issue like worn cam shaft or crank shaft bearings,restricted oil pump pick up tube,sludge build up in the engine that isnt allowing the engine oil to drain back properly,etc.The engine would need to be inspected internally.

If there are no engine noises at all and with what you have replaced already this may be an issue with the engine oil pressure gauge itself.I have seen the gauge fail before in the past needing replaced or repaired to correct this fault here.I would have the fault codes checked using a scan tool that can communicate with all computers in your vehicle to see if any codes are set and if any codes are set those codes will need diagnosed to locate and repair the fault here.A scan tool or computer that can communicate with the instrument cluster can be used to observe the actual engine oil pressure data to see if the correct pressure is being read by the cluster but the cluster is displaying the incorrect pressure,this would indicate the cluster itself at fault.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Thank you for your response. I have checked with the DRBIII, none DTC'S is set in the ECM and The Instrument CLUSTER. WITH THE DRBIII, I GOT TO ECM THEN SENSOR DISPLAY, I MONITOR THE ACTUAL OIL PRESSURE IT SHOWS 5 PSI at idle(800rpm). When accelerate it goes up to 50 Psi. I know the correct pressure should be 44 Psi minimum. I have removed the oil pan to check restriction and damage at o'ring everything seems good.
i do not have noise like bearing but an uneven compression at cylinder One, i have also seen cylinder 1 injects more fuel than the others.

When you say uneven compression on cylinder 1 what is the compression of all of the cylinders including cylinder 1?

Pete, Technician