Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

Regarding my 2007 jeep grand cherokee crd throwing the red…

Customer Question
***** ***** and regarding...

***** ***** and regarding my 2007 jeep grand cherokee crd throwing the red lightning bolt that flashes

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

It also goes into limp mode its came on several times now and also threw a p0299 code last time i drove it along with the flashing lightning bolt which i hear is the electronic throttle control

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Jeep
1/19/2016
Jeep Mechanic: Robert R, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 28+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Sorry for the delayed response, I just logged in ...

Is P0299 the only code coming up?

What is the make and model of the scanner or code reader that is being used to retrieve codes?

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

it is the only code that is coming up it was the obd scanner don't remember all the info just a small basic scanner from a small shop.

Ok the most common cause for the P0299 code is an intake system leak. Most common being a split turbo intercooler hose. This will cause a loss of power and can also cause the ETC light to illuminate.

For now, I'm posting the diagnostic procedure for this code, Let me know if you need additional info or more ideas for this concern.

Here is the diagnostic procedure CLICK HERE.

Keep me posted and let me know if you have any additional questions...

Thank you,

Robert

Thank you now does that also explain the etc light and what exactly is the etc light mean when it comes on? Thanks for all the info so far.

The ETC light informs you of a problem with the Electronic Throttle Control system.

The P0299 code qualifies as being part of the throttle control system so that is why the light is illuminated. It can also be illuminated for other failures along with the check engine light.

Here is an excerpt from the owners manual describing the ETC lamp function.

Click Here

Thank you,

Robert

______________________________________

Please keep in mind, If I haven't clearly answered your question and you need additional info, please ask "before" you Rate my Answer.

Remember, RATING is REQUIRED to credit me for helping you! -- Please don't forget to Rate my service as OK Service or better. It's only then that I am credited... A "Poor" or "Bad Service" rating does not automatically result in a refund so if you would rather have a refund, please reply and let me know BEFORE rating and I will submit a refund request with Customer Service on your behalf...

Please remember that this site operates on the honor system... Making sure that your expert is paid for good answers is what allows experts to continue working for you and others...