Jeep

Have Jeep questions? Ask a Jeep repair expert for answers

Keep Wrangler 1992 stuck in 4 wheel drive. Rarely used

Customer Question
Keep Wrangler 1992 stuck in***** Rarely...
Keep Wrangler 1992 stuck in*****
Rarely used 4'wheel. Goes effortlessly between 4 low and 4 high. When I attempt to go to 2'wheel drive I hit a solid wall. It is as if the*****option was never there.
I attempted backing up 50' and stopping suddenly. I have tried it in 4 sessions over 50' each time at least 10 x in each sessions. Because it was cold I tried in one session driving in a straight line for 1/2 mile each way to allow all parts to warm up fully. Before one attempt I let my beautiful wrangler run parked for an hour. Same result each time.
Jeep is in spectacular condition. Only 104,000 miles with all parking enclosed for first 15 years. From then till now parked on asphalt with no water under vehicle.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Jeep
1/16/2016
Jeep Mechanic: eauto, The Car Guy replied 2 years ago
eauto
eauto, The Car Guy

is the linkage rusted or bent?

No. Vehicle has had almost no time off road and has never been in an accident.
It is in 4x. Not just light on.
I have tried backing up and stopping suddenly 4 different events. Up to 10 times in each event.
I let it run for long time two times before I attempted to get it into 2x.
Smoothly shifts from low 4x to neutral to 4x high.
Before this issue it did not go into 4x low but never attempted to have it fixed. I have no need for 4x low. Now goes in easily.
Manual transmission. Very clean Jeep. No modifications from factory settings. Only 104,000 miles. No rut on body and under cariage only has light surface rust.

so the lever moves freely but it just wont come out of 4x4 hi correct?

Very smooth low-neutral-high- wall of steel when I try and go to 2x.

sounds internal are you planning on fixing yourself

I am very dissatisfied with how this is progressing. If you are not interested with this question please transfer it over to a mechanic who may be interested. I do not believe you have shown due diligence in reading the significant details I have provided you. In fact of the three questions you have asked it is clear that two were completely and clearly answered in the text I provided you before you asked the question. The third was,close,to the same.Please get on with this or transfer it to another mechanic. In fact Imguess you do not know the potential answers to my question or you would have listed the options of the possible causes of the problem.
Is it significant that the transfer case would not allow going into low 4w before, and now it goes fluidly between low 4w and neutral and high 4w. ????
The issue maybe how you are paid. Is it per problem you take on? If so there is a great incentive to take on problems and just stall many out until clients just give up.

? it took you 8 days to respond? so its working now?

No it is not working.
It was not me that delayed this.
I have people that can do repairs or with knowledge I can take it to a shop with options on what is wrong.
I have been waiting for directions as to where to look for the problem. It was a very long time (over a year and a half) since I have put it in 4x.
It was sluggish on going in. But once in, and moving between ; high neutral; and 4; low a few times the move was easier. I drove in maybe a couple of hundred yards in 4x high before I parked it in 4x low. Then I parked it for 10 days in 4x low to stabilize a log splitter.When I went to move it it drove off hard fine. When I went to drive it on asphalt it said forget it. It would not come out of 4 high and would not go into 2x. Clear?

ok have you checked the linkage at the transfer case is it bound up?

I apoligise I responded with a question to you then 8 days later you responded

I never got the linkage question.
How do I check it???

you would have to look underneath where the lever and rods go from the lever to the transfer case its likely rusty or damaged..you would need to check it and possibly take it off and see if its bound up..

1. Remove transfer case shift lever boot, then position shift lever (1), in the four-low position.
  2. Position a 1/8 inch spacer between forward edge of shift lever and shift lever gate.
  3. Raise and support vehicle.
  4. Loosen lock bolt (2), on adjusting trunnion (3), then move range lever (5) fully rearward to the four-low position.
  5. Position linkage rod (4), so that it fits freely in range lever (5), then tighten adjusting trunnion bolt (2).
  6. Lower vehicle and remove spacer from shift lever.