Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

2005 jeep liberty turn signal and 4 way flashers 't work.

Customer Question

2005 jeep liberty turn signal and 4 way flashers don't work.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

Good morning and welcome to JustAnswer!!!

It sounds like you have a bad combination flasher relay.. Here is how it works:

OPERATION

The combination flasher has the following inputs and outputs: fused B(+), fused ignition switch output, right turn signal sense, left turn signal sense, and one output each for the right and left turn signal circuits. The combination flasher also receives an internal input through the hazard switch and, on vehicles equipped with the optional Vehicle Theft Security System (VTSS), receives an input from the Body Control Module (BCM) in order to flash the turn signal lamps as an optical alert feature of that system.

Battery voltage is supplied to the flasher on a fused B(+) circuit so that the flasher can perform the hazard warning flasher function, regardless of the ignition switch position. The flasher also receives battery voltage on a separate fused ignition switch output (run-start) circuit to perform the turn signal flasher function.

The Integrated Circuit (IC) within the combination flasher contains the logic that controls the flasher operation and the flash rate. The IC receives separate sense ground inputs from the multi-function switch for the right and left turn signals, and from the hazard switch contacts or the BCM for the hazard warning signals. A special design feature of the combination flasher allows it to "sense" that a turn signal circuit or bulb is not operating, and provide the driver an indication of the condition by flashing the remaining bulbs in the affected circuit at a higher rate (120 flashes-per-minute or higher).

Because of the active electronic elements within the combination flasher, it cannot be tested with conventional automotive electrical test equipment. If the combination flasher is believed to be faulty, test the turn signal and hazard warning systems before replacing the flasher. If no problems are found, replace the hazard warning switch with a known good unit to confirm system operation.

DESCRIPTION

The combination flasher is integral to the hazard switch unit located behind the hazard switch button near the center of the instrument panel. The combination flasher is a smart relay that functions as both the turn signal system and the hazard warning system flasher. The combination flasher contains active electronic Integrated Circuitry (IC) elements.

Let me know if this helps,

Brad

This flasher is designed to handle the current flow requirements of the factory-installed lighting. If supplemental lighting is added to the turn signal lamp circuits, such as when towing a trailer with lights, the combination flasher will automatically try to compensate to keep the flash rate the same.

The combination flasher cannot be repaired or adjusted and, if faulty or damaged, the hazard switch unit must be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the hazard switch and still no turn or 4 way flashers. p s I changed the left complete tail light and that is when it stopped working!!
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

Can I get the last 8 digits of your VIN?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
vin#5w623708
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay!!

I attached a wiring diagram to follow.. Can you check for 12v and ground going to the flasher?

Talk soon,

Brad