Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

My commander sont shift into park or revererse. Can Get IT

Customer Question
into reverse when pussing the...
My commander sont shift into park or revererse. Can Get IT into reverse when pussing the stick. This happend after i was out with the mid console
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Jeep
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/11/2016
Jeep Mechanic: Brad, Jeep Dealership Tech replied 1 year ago
Brad
Brad, Jeep Dealership Tech

Good afternoon and welcome to JustAnswer!!

You said this started after you had the center console out? If so then I would remove it and see if you have something pinched..

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello! It was not the centerconsole but the cover to the mid console buttons such as fan control. I was off with this because the light to the park distanse button was on all the time and not able to turn off. This mean no PDC working. I might have pulled the gearshifter into normal position without having the ignition on when i was strugeling to take off the cover,but have not used any force. I hope you can understand my english cause i am writing you from Norway.Sincerly
Kristen
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is there an manuell relase for the gearshift lock on this car?

I attached the Brake shift interlock test.

Is the shifter stuck in park or will it move? When the key is on and you press the brake do you hear a click in the shifter?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do not hear a click in the shifter

Is the shifter stuck in park?

BTSI FUNCTION CHECK

1.Verify removal of ignition key allowed in PARK position only.

2.When the shift lever is in PARK, the ignition key cylinder should rotate freely LOCK position. When the shifter is in any other position, the ignition key should not rotate to the LOCK position.

3.Shifting out of PARK should not be possible when the ignition key cylinder is in the ACC position and the brake pedal is not depressed.

4.Shifting out of PARK should not be possible while applying normal force on the shift lever and ignition key cylinder is in the ACC, ON, or START positions unless the foot brake pedal is depressed approximately 1/2 inch (12mm).

5.Shifting out of PARK should not be possible when the ignition key cylinder is in the LOCK position, regardless of the brake pedal position.

6.Shifting between any gears, NEUTRAL or into PARK may be done without depressing foot brake pedal with ignition switch in ACC, ON, or START positions.

7.The floor shifter lever and gate positions should be in alignment with all transmission detent positions.

8.Engine starts must be possible with shifter lever in PARK or NEUTRAL gate positions only. Engine starts must not be possible in any other gate positions other than PARK or NEUTRAL.

9.With the shifter lever handle in the:

1. PARK position- apply forward force on center of handle and remove pressure. Engine start must be possible.
  2. PARK position- apply rearward force on center of handle and remove pressure. Engine start must be possible.
  3. NEUTRAL position- engine start must be possible.
  4. NEUTRAL position, engine running and brakes applied- Apply forward force on center of shift handle. Transmission should not be able to shift into REVERSE detent.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The key can be removed when the gear is in N and D position. The problem is that the shifter i stucked in N and D position and can to into reverse if i hold pressure on the shifter. However cant i get the shifter into P position. IT starts and drives normally in every gear but cant put it into park.

It should only start in park or neutral and the key should only come out in park... At this point you will need to remove the center console and remove the shifter cable and see if the shifter will go into park then.. If yes then you have a cable issue, if not then you have a shifter issue..

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My problem is that i cant get the shifter into park at all, or to stay in reverse without holding pressure on the level. Its not possible to do the brake shift interlock test when the shifter dont go in park. I do also think that this must be an electric failure cause the was no problems with the gear before i looked at park assisent button. I would like to try to move the level into P position if there are an manuell override on this car. Can you tell me if there are such an override? I also wonder about is there an fuse who control the gear shift lock?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
PS, i do not hear a click in the gear shift when i push the brake pedal.

I would remove the center console and remove the cable to see if you have a cable or shifter issue..

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, have now picked out the center console and pushed the gearlock aside so i got the gear in park. It semes to be ok after i did this and i get the car in park.Still an issue with the PDC whoes not working.

So your shifting issues are corrected?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks for your help!

You are very welcome..

Thank you for the positive rating,

Brad

Don't forget to rate so I;m compensated for my time.

Follow up questions are free of charge.

Thanks,

Brad

Brad
Brad
Brad, Jeep Dealership Tech