Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

I just put gas in the car and then the MIL light came on. I

Customer Question
Customer: I just put gas...
Customer: I just put gas in the car and then the MIL light came on. I made sure the gas cap and the hinge door were closed correctly twice. I drove it to where we were staying and started it again and the light was on. I went out again and started the car and checked the gas cap and door. The MIL light was still on! ***** ***** Williams
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have about 49,000 miles on it (2012 loaded Grand Cherokee). I just drove it (5 days ago) from OKC to Houston and around Houston for 4 days and no light or problem.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Jeep Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Jeep
1/3/2016
Jeep Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 1 year ago
Pete, Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

It is just coincidence that the light has come on the same time the fuel was added or that the fuel tank pressure sensor may have failed when fuel was added turning on the light here.

What has to be done from here to help locate and repair this issue here is to have the fault codes read out/checked using a scan tool that will plug into your vehicle and can communicate with your vehicles computers.Once this has been done any codes set will need diagnosed to locate and repair the fault here.Since there are so many different components on the engine and transmission that will turn on this light here the codes will need checked.Most shops or a dealer can check the codes and places like Auto Zone will usually check them at no cost to you.Once they are read out they can be diagnosed to locate and repair the fault here then a scan tool used to clear the codes to turn off the light.

If you can get the code info set on your vehicle here this will help just let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Technician