Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with 3.7 and manual. It has

Customer Question

2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with 3.7 and manual. It has occasionally had loss of power right around 2500 RPM and the Eco light will flash on and off.
Last night I was driving it in the rain and hit about 3" of water on the street. The engine nearly died. It recovered but drove with low power and was rough.
I woke up this morning and started it and the engine barely runs. It has no power and will barely rotate. It acts like it is miss firing or sucking in water. If I feather the throttle it will go up to about 5k. If I hit mid to full throttle it will back fire and sputter and barely make it to 2000 RPM. Either way it is almost impossible to put it in gear and drive as the engine sputters too much to pull it.
Any thoughts guys?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

sounds like you ingested water and damaged the engine, what is your skill level, and I assume you mean 3.6 NOT 3.7 the 3.7 was never in a wrangler and the only available engine for a 13 wrangler is a 3.6

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would say I am an intermediate skill level as I have worked on quite a few things on the engine. You are correct bill, I miss typed the engine size, it does have a 3.6L v-6. Is it possible that there is a sensor that got wet or some other issue?
Karl
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have worked with quite a few things with cars and engines before, to clairfy. Is there any troubleshooting I can do to verify your theory?
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

yes there are quite a few troubleshooting things, first open the air cleaner and look for water and or a wet air filter, second pull the 3 spark plugs that you can get to without removing the upper intake and look for wetness, any water in the air box will get sucked into the engine, this is a high compression motor and is not happy when it injests water, also being all aluminum it is easy to damage, i would also run a compression test looking low cylinders, if you do find water in the intake I would call your insurance company and start a claim as this is not a cheap engine to replace and water damage is never warranty

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is most definitely not flooded, the inside of the airbox is super dry and has tiny bits of dust.
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

ok i will assume the check engine light is on and there are codes stored, you will need a code reader to pull them, but be aware being a 13 there is some warranty left and you may wish to have a dealer look at it so you don't void any remaining warranty, tje powertrain warranty is 100k

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The check engine light is not on, that is part of the puzzle.