Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

I'm ***** *****, I had Auto zone to a diagnostic on my 2007

Customer Question
Customer: HI I'm ***** *****...
Customer: HI I'm ***** *****, I had Auto zone to a diagnostic on my 2007 Jeep Commander and he came back with U0404 which he mentioned about shifting, my power outlets have been out so had all the fuses changed and no power still, then he said it could be a ground wire, so Christmas Day it wouldn't start and I had the same issue the prior weekend but it started after just a few minutes at the time it felt more of an ignition issue. So the Christmas incident it didn't start at all and there was a transmission over temp that I saw it didn't flash or come only until I turned the ignition key. There's no jerking of gears or slipping that I've felt so far, I'm just trying not to have this thing towed all across the city to be fixed wondering if there's any advice at all. Also I have a remote starter and won't start and I was thinking if its just trans the truck should at least start. sorry for being lengthy lol. any imput would be great
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Truck won't start when I turn the ignition key it doesn't sound like it's connecting and I noticed when turning the ignition key transmission over temp comes up.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Jeep Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I'm at work will try to re post in a couple of hours
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Jeep
12/26/2015
Jeep Mechanic: bill, jeep master tech replied 2 years ago
bill
bill, jeep master tech

the U0404 is a common problem in older jeeps it is "implausible data from shifter module ,also known as the ESM) this is an internal failure with the electronic shifter module NEVER a wiring issue of any kind, the only permanent fix is replace either the shifter OR the shifter bezel, that is where the ESM or shifter module is located, on single speed transfer cases you USED TO be able get the module only BUT on transfer cases with a shift lever you must replace the entire shifter, also on2 wheel drive you must replace the entire shifter.

as for the power outlets that is a completely different problem and can be a fuse or wiring there are 3 fuse boxes on the commander and its cousin the grand Cherokee so I will need your vin to pull the correct wiring to assist that problem.

and YES a failed shifter module WILL cause the truck not to start as it is a critical module in telling the jeeps computers it is safe to start

Chris
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman