Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

My 2003 cherokee makes a "whirring/clicking sound" in the

Customer Question

Customer: my 2003 cherokee makes a "whirring/clicking sound" in the gear shift area when i deaccelerate and put on the brakes?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: no slippage or problems in function of the transmission....yet??
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Jeep Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure! 2003 cherokee with 134,000 mi
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 28+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

Is this a 2wd or 4wd vedhicle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4 wd grand cherokee limited
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like it may be an issue with the transfer case or driveline. Is it possible for you to make a video recording of the sound and post it to youtube and a link to view the file here?

If I could hear the noise for myself, I may have a better idea that may more closely pinpoint the noise..

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert