Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

My patriot shuts of at 4000 rpms

Customer Question
My patriot shuts of at 4000 rpms
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Jeep
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/21/2015
Jeep Mechanic: Chris, Shop Foreman replied 1 year ago
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman

Hello and welcome to just answer. Does it start right back up after this happens?

Any check engine lights coming on? and are you revving it in neutral?

Chris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
there's a check engine light, and it only shuts off during acceleration when rpm hits 4000

Ok, nhave you had the trouble codes checked at your auto parts store?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yeah, it said some sensor was bad but it seemed unrelated... some kind of coolant temp sensor I think

Ok, well it may or may not be related. Usually when an engine like yours cuts out like that, it is a cam or crank shaft position sensor that is shorting out. It gould be setting a false coolant temp sensor code. Clear the code, then get it to act up again. If that code returns, then replace the coolant temp sensor. If it comes back after that, then you have an engine wiring harness problem or a shorted cam or crank sensor. Note that if you replace the cam or crank sensors, please use only Mopar brand sensors. I have had bad luckwith the aftermarket ones.

I hope that this information is helpful and please let me know if you need further assistance.

Chris

Hello, just checking back to see if you received my last reply, and if so do you still need help with your problem? Please remember, the website will not automatically credit me from your deposit or subscription without your Rating! Please, use the Rating System Box and Rate our Q&A session today or. If you need to ask more questions, please feel free to ask!

Thank you!

Chris

Chris
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman