Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

, my taillights do not come on while the headlights are

Customer Question
Customer: ***** ***** JA: Thanks...
Customer: ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: my taillights do not come on while the headlights are on. its a 2000 jeep grand Cherokee
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Jeep Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Jeep
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
brake lights work fine but the taillights do not come on
12/20/2015
Jeep Mechanic: bill, jeep master tech replied 1 year ago
bill
bill, jeep master tech

ok I need a bit more info is it the REAR only or the front and rear park lamps that do not come on?

and what is your skill level can you use a digital meter and test lamp for some testing?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have a tester with a ground wire and a light. I am intermediate skill. The parking lights (yellow) in front do not come on. The rear red taillights also do not come on.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The yellow front lights will flash when emergency lights are on and with turn signal also

ok last thing do you have the vin so I can pull the correct diagram for your jeep?

all our diagrams are vin specific

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can not drive at night because red tail lights do not come on. only my headlights come on. The brake lights work when I step on the brake.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will get the vin. just 2min

take your time

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1J4GW58N3YC136976

thanks give me a couple of seconds to pull a diagram

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK

ok first thing is to look at the park lamp fuse in the INTERIOR fuse panel, that panel is on the drivers side just above the OBD 2 diagnostic port it MAY or MAY NOT have a cover over it, the fuse to look at is FUSE 6 and it is a BLUE 15 amp fuse, this fuse feeds the park lamp relay which feeds all the parking lamps front/rear and license plate lamps

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok I will check now...

ok if that fuse is good you will need your teat lamp to see if the relay is getting power

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok that fuse was blown and I just now replaced it and now the red tail light comes on and the yellow running light comes on with the headligthts. It all works now but when the headlights are on and I push on the breaks, the brake lights do not come on and the tail lights go off completely. When I let of the brake the tail lights come back on

ahh a very common problem, the tail rear tail lamps lamp housings contain a printed circuit board (kinda like many GM trucks) and that circuit board goes bad, USUALLY the ground circuit fails in some way, which causes the power to seek the next available easiest ground path, and when that happens you lose what ever lamps are on at the time, it is MOST noticeable withteh parking lamps on and when you step on the brakes, the brake lamp bulb completes the ground BUT this causes the lamp to go out, the ONLY successful fix I have had was replace the lamp assemblies with either good later model used ones (2002 and up should be ok) or new ones, I have yet had any success in taking apart the lens and fixing the board

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok I guess I will try going to autozone. with this discussion be saved so I can get back with you if it doesn't work? thanks

yes it is saved just log in to your account and click the my questions tab, be careful with auto zone stuff I have had spotty luck with them you MAY be better and cheaper finding a used set from a later model GC

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
also are the led light assemblies any good or does led cause problems. thanks

my girl has LED on her 02 GC with no issues BUT you need to be sure the ones you get have the correct LOAD RESISTORS built in or you will get a hyper flashing turn signal if they work at all,remember your GC was never designed to have a low resistance lamp like a LED (traditional filimant style lamps put a fairly heavy load on the circuit and th eflasher needs this load to operate correctly) so the flasher will not operate properly unless the lamps have the correct load to put on the flasher, as with any aftermarket part be careful of discount parts they are cheap for a reason.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok thanks a lot. good job!

your welcome have a good Christmas

this site is on the honor system once you are satisfied with the service you rate it, you have already paid to use the site all a rating does is allow the expert to be paid for his time and that comes out of the fee you paid to use the service

bill
bill
bill, jeep master tech