Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

How to install coil springs into 2003 grand Cherokee. I have

Customer Question
the springs out, but how...
how to install coil springs into 2003 grand Cherokee. I have the springs out, but how do I get the new spring into the bottom spring isolator
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Jeep
12/19/2015
Jeep Mechanic: George H., ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician

Hello I will help you with your question,

Click here for procedure

Look that procedure over and let me know if you are following all the steps.

Thank you

Do I need to turn the spring into the lower spring isolator? It doesn't just push down into it.

You were able to just remove the old spring once you lowered the axle with the jack? Why are you replacing them? Sagged or are the new springs different from the old?

I pulled the springs out from the bottom isolator. There are rubber tabs that I had to pull the spring out of. the springs are the same as the old ones. I'm replacing them because I wanted to stiff up the front. Too soft. I'm replacing the shocks, sway bar links etc. as well. And tie rod ends

Oh, its the fronts you are having trouble with?

Click here for procedure

Look at that, some silicone spray will help get the isolator into the spring but if the isolator is crushed you will need to replace it.

Let me know if that clears it up

Thank you

I will try the spray. with the sway bar link removed, I shouldn't need a spring compressor right?

You should be able to lower the control arm on a jack enough to install/remove the spring without a compressor. The track bar needs to be removed from the axle to get the travel you need to install the spring.

Let me know what I can do to help

Thank you

George H.
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician