Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

Abed is my name
, I have 2009 Jeep compass.. I am

Customer Question

Customer: Abed is my name
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have 2009 Jeep compass.. I am having problems with the immobilizer . when. Lately the key fob does work. you open the doors insert key and no lights on the panel., Car starts but you cant shift the gear ... disconnect battery and connect again and it works. after 2 to 3 days it happens again
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Jeep Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes]
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this here today.In some cases I need more info to assist better.

Have you had the fault codes checked to see what codes are set in all computers in your vehicle here?

Was anything done or added to your vehicle that may have caused this here?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete,There was nothing added to the Vehicle.. The fault codes have been checked and they are all fine ...
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a second key to try at all or has this already been tried?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we have tried it with the second key and its the same ..
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

From what you have described here this sounds like a possible internal electrical fault with the electronic ignition switch itself.I have seen this switch fail in the past before needing replaced for intermittent issues like this.The switch signals will need checked/tested with a multi meter and a scan tool that can read all computers in your vehicle to see if the switch is sending the correct signals or if it needs replaced.

With what is described this sounds like the cause intermittently acting up.

I show the cost of this switch at $52 and a half hours labor to have replaced so around $150 at the most.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete