Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Jeep Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo V8. It has about

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo V8. It has about 210,000. When I drive over some road bumps there is a frequent thumping sound coming from the rear of the Jeep. I can recreate the noise by pushing the Jeep side to side when parked. The sound come from the right rear tire area. Has shocks that are a year old. Also thought it might be my trailer hitch moving that that is not it.
Category: Jeep
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pushing the jeep from the rear does create the same sound. I initially did not think it did.
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.

While i cant say for sure because i would have to look at it, i can say that the most common thing that causes this is the rear stabilizer bar mounting bolts or bushings are what usually causes this noise with side to side movement while sitting and when going over bumps. Below is a diagram and i circled the areas that need to be checked for bolt tightness and bushing wear. Look them over real good and make sure ALL mounting bolts are tight.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33691145/sb.PNG

My goal is that you are 100% happy with my answer(s). I strive for a positive rating. It's the only way i get credit. If you have further questions PLEASE just reply and i will work with you as long as possible.

Let me know if that diagram came thru please.