Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

I have a 1997 jeep Cherokee that started popping out of

Customer Question

I have a 1997 jeep Cherokee that started popping out of overdrive at highway speeds. It will go in and out. Fluid is full and red. Any Ideas?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.

Any warning lights on like the check engine light .

Rgds Greg

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you there?
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.

Yes still here, just checking out what your problem in in the data base .

Be with you in a tick .

Greg

Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.

Can you switch the O/D on and off .will it show you this with the warning light on the switch

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I can't. It's automatic. It's a quadratrac full time*****
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.

First you need to check for malfunction codes as i said a bad adjusted TPS will cause this also a bad adjusted throttle cable ,transmission fluid level to low .

All these check out good then it starts to look bad like a bad overdrive solenoid or clutch disc.

these are the typical issue ,

then comes the overdrive piston failure Valve body malfunction .

If the fluid is still clean and nor gone dark brown to black then it may be just a valve body issue ..

Have a good transmission shop check / test the transmission a bad fluid pressure could also cause you

this issue so pressure test on all test ports are to be tested .

If you can't do the testing yourself i suggest you find a good transmission shop that has a good reputation

to test this for you .

Still need help then please get back to me with the reply button, and not the poor or bad service, this way i can get back to you or suggest another expert if needed.

Your deposit does not pay me until the answer is rated in a positive way,
A bad rating does not constitute a refund.

If you are not happy or you have sorted out your problem before the answer then please let me know with the reply button .

Kind regards Greg.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just paid 26 bucks to have you tell me to take it to a transmistion shop. That's not good. And what you sugjested I can get for free on forums. I'm not happy so I will rate that way
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.

Hi ,

Let be honest what do you want me to say ,tell you to drop the fluid pan and take a chance and replace the valve body .Or even say replace the overdrive piston , no sir i'm not here to get you to throw parts at your car until its repaired .

There is some much hanging on this issue that you have and the only way is to do the necessary test is i said .

Or do you happen to have the needed tools, if yes then yes sire we can start doing the test yourself with my support .

If still not happy then please just opt me out and do not rate ,

Thank you and kind regards Greg.

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. I see this issue from time to time and 9 times out of 10 it is a worn TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). When it gets worn out, it can cause signal fluctuations which makes the PCM (engine/transmission computer) think you are moving the throttle even if you are not. I am 99% sure that if you replace the TPS that this will take care of it. If you need the procedure to replace the TPS please let me know and I will send it to you.

Chris