Robert R
Robert R, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, Jeep Certified
49095596

I have a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.7L that is occasionally

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.7L that is occasionally throwing a P0700 with a U0002. The CEL will come on and then will usually clear itself after a few days and then it will take 5-10 more ignition sequences to illuminate again.
Prior to this week, it was also throwing U0141, U01103, P2767 and P0613 on occasion. The random nature and lack of consistency in the codes I was receiving led me to believe it was likely an elictrical/ECU/PCM problem. I have since replaced the ECU/PCM (one unit in the WK) as well as the shift control module. Since doing that, the only codes I get are P0700 and U0002.
I'm hesitant to believe that there is something wrong internally in the transmission as it was replaced 14 months ago with a Mopar reman transmission at the dealer.
The only symptom I have is an occasionally very hard "downshift like" feeling at random times (but most frequently after driving down steep declines in a parking garage). The downshift doesn't seem to be in the transm
Category: Jeep
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Looks like my question might have been cut off.. The rest should read."The downshift doesn't seem to be in the transmission, more like the rear end of the driveline. I have recently replaced the transfer case, had the rear diff. rebuilt and replaced both rear wheel bearings as well. The CEL issue predates these repairs so I think we may be able to rule those out as well.Any advice on where to check next would be appreciated.
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

Hello, welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is*****'m a Certified Auto Technician with 28+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. please keep in mind that I may need to ask questions of you before I can answer. When you reply please feel free to add as much detailed information as possible pertaining to your concern.

I may be able to help with this but I need to know the make and model of the scanner or code reader that you are using to retrieve codes.

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Robert,I'm using an Innova 3020b OBD2 reader.Thanks,
Craig
Expert:  Robert R replied 1 year ago.

Hello, sorry for the delayed response...

At this time, I recommend to use a scanner that is capable of retrieving codes from the Transmission Control Module. The Innova 3020b is ONLY capable of retrieving engine related codes. The P0700 is a "generic" code that is telling you that there are codes stored in the TCM. To be able to tell what needs to be done next, you need the codes as retrieved from the TCM. If you can post the codes that are retrieved from the TCM and I will be able to tell you where to start diagnostics to get this figured out.

As for the U0002, it is referring to a communication issue with the High Speed CAN Bus. It is very possible that the codes in the TCM will help pinpoint the U0002 code...

Keep me posted...

Thank you,

Robert