Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

Trying to find out what's wrong with my jeep

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Jeep
10/30/2015
Jeep Mechanic: AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician

What is it doing?

Missing while idling and driving while warming up for about 30 seconds it will go into a really rough idle and cut off. I've replaced spark plugs, spark plugs, csp, and everything I can think

It misses at idle. Ok.

If you bring the RPM up, does it continue to misfire? or does it smooth out?

Smooth out
It misses while I'm driving up hills especially

Ok. Do you have access to a vacuum pump, like a mity vac? Are there any stored trouble codes? is it a 4 or 6 cylinder?

No I don't. I just changed the coil pack like 30 minutes ago and there was a check engine light before I disconnected the battery
4.0

Ok. I really need to know what the code is in order to have a better idea of what is happening here. I suspect the code will appear again very soon, if it's not already there as a pending code. Can you check for pending codes?

as of right now there is no codes

Not even pending? Pending codes wont light up the CEL. Did you happen to check it before you disconnected the battery?

The codes I had was loss or intermittent signal from ckp or csp. I also had a code from the coil pack and misfires before I changed the spark plugs
The code reader has a yellow light on it but there is no stored codes

It probably has pending codes in it. They will mature soon.

It had both cam and crank sensor codes before?

Intermittent signals yes.

Do you recall the code number?

Have you inspected the crankshaft sensor connector well? crank sensors are not uncommon failures on those jeeps.

Maybe 303 and 302 not real sure
It looks like it's not plugged in all the way but the jeep won't run if it's not plugged all the way in right?

It shouldn't, but it may be making contact, just not very good contact. Try plugging it in good and see what we get

Same thing

Ok. Without a code, there are too many possibilities as to why it could be giving you these symptoms. Did you say that your scan tool indicated that there was a code, but would not display it yet?

It has 3 status lights green yellow red and it's yellow when I plug it in and try to pull codes.

Ok. I assume that yellow means that there are pending fault codes and red means there are current fault codes. It will not allow you to review pending fault codes?

No it wont

how long ago did you disconnect the battery and clear the codes? I am wondering if you drive it around the block if it will give us the code so we can proceed with troubleshooting this issue

When I changed the coil pack. I just drove it around the block and no CEL or codes

it may take a couple drive cycles to display the code. It is definitely seeing a problem which i assume is why the light is yellow. Unless the yellow light indicates that the monitors have not run. I am not familiar with your scan tool. I have to get going for the day, so if you want I can opt out so somebody else can help you, or you can try to get the code to display and we can proceed tomorrow. it's totally up to you.

Ok thanks for your help
Jeep Mechanic: Jack, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Jack
Jack, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thanks for your guestion.. I will do my best to give you sound advice based on the information you provide. like it was stated before a code would be very helpful in this situation to help rule possible issues. on these 4 liter engines I have seen plenty of these kind of issues caused my the PCM. this is just based off of what I have read so far. check over the PCM and check for any corrosion along the seams mainly at the bottom. also check yout 5 volt refference at the cam and crank sensor (if you can). I would also recommend to drive it and hopefully the code will set again.

The code I'm getting p1391

Check the cam sensor for correct index, check cam sensor adapter assembly for a seized or binding can sensor shaft. Inspect the can position sensor drive gear for damage. If the cam position sensor drive gear is damaged, remove the oil pan and oil pump, inspect the camshaft drive gear for damage as well.

How do I check for correct index?
Jack
Jack
Jack, ASE Certified Technician