Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

I have a problem where my running lights, brake lights,

Customer Question
Hi I have a problem...
Hi I have a problem where my running lights, brake lights, flashlights, and turn signals all work but the headlightsand high beans don't. I tried putting in a new headlight switch and new headlights after I found that the left one had blown up inside. I'm now at a loss for why they still aren't working. Can anybody help?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Jeep
10/27/2015
Jeep Mechanic: Jared D, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

Do you have a multi meter to check for powers at the switch?

Power Distribution Center Fuse #7 powers the Red/White wire at the headlamp switch. When the headlights are turned on, the Light Green wire then powers the headlamp beam select switch. From there the headlamp beam select switch powers the Violet/White wire, which goes to the junction block (inside the fuse box) though Fuses 4 and 5. Next the power leaves the junction block as a Violet and Violet/Red wires that powers the left and right low beam headlights.

Okay give me a few minutes to get back to the switch. I'm not an expert with the multimeter so can you explain exactly how to test for power?
Okay I'm at the switch now.

You can set your meter to dc volts. The black lead goes to a good ground-usually and unpainted metal on the body. The red lead goes to the wire being tested.

With the headlight switch on, the red/white wire reads .08 when the multimeter is set to 20 DCV.

It should read 12 volts. Can you check the fuse #7 and the fuse socket in the junction box for damage? Water, corrosion, melting, etc.

Yeah I will check those. There are other wires that are reading 12 volts though - a double pink and black wire and a black and yellow wire.
What is the fuse socket?
There are 2 15 amp fuses in the power distribution box that are reading 0 volts too.

The slot the fuse goes in. There might also be corrosion and damage that can only be seen at the back of the fuse box. If you get to the point where you can't find voltage at the fuse then you might have to check the back of the box.

Which two?

The two right ones on the top row of the section that contains the small 10-20 volt fuses.
The back of the power distribution box is a bit dusty but I don't see any wear or corrosion.

Ok. Is there power to fuse #7?

I guess I'm not sure if I'm checking it right. When I place the two multimeter probes on either contact point on top of the fuse, the voltmeter reads nothing.

That won't work unless you turn the dial to ohms and then it would only show resistance. Check from each of the fuse pins to ground. One lead to one side of the fuse and the other lead to ground. Then between the other side of the fuse and ground. It should show 12 volts on each side.

That's what I thought; so then where is the ground connection for the kick panel fuse box?
Never mind I found it. Fuse 7 is receiving power.
are 4 and 5.
Wait.
The only unpainted piece of metal I can find down here is a bolt head sticking out at the top right of the fuse box. When I place the one probe on that and the other on the fuse, fuse 7 is reading 0.
Other fuses like 9, 10, 11, and 12 are reading 12 though. But 4 and 5 obviously are also reading 0.
Sorry about my inexperience. The switch and fuse seem to be working right. When the switch is on, fuse 7 reads 12-14, but when it's off, fuse 7 reads 0.

Sorry. I didn't meant to leave you hanging. I had to run to lunch. I'm at work,

So you are getting power through to the switch.

When you turn the headlights on what do you get to the light green wire?

Chris
Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman