Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

I have 1997 jeep Laredo 4.0 4wd, has been running fine then

Customer Question
yesterday after driving at turnpike...
I have 1997 jeep Laredo 4.0 4wd, has been running fine then yesterday after driving at turnpike speeds turned off on local road it suddenly started mis-firing at low speed and stop,putting it in neutral stopped the rough idle and engine seems fine only in drive above 15 mph does it start to misfire , what do you think could be the issue?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Jeep
10/26/2015
Jeep Mechanic: Amedee, Jeep Technician replied 2 years ago
Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. Is the check engine light on? Are there any codes in the computer? Does it stall out at times when ilding or driving?

no check engine light on, it does not stall but close to it at stop in drive, runs fine in park or neutral, the misfiring starts above 15MPH

Thank you for that information. The most common causes of a rough running condition on this engine are bad tune up parts, bad/weak fuel pump or even a bad camshaft position sensor or crankshaft position sensor.

You are going to want to check for air or vacuum leaks under the hood as well

The TPs (which is the throttle position sensor), oxygen sensors and MAP sensor can all affect how the engine runs.. but these are less likley to cause this issue you are having.

When was the last time the engine was tuned up?

IF it has been a while, you might want to start there.

this seemed like a vacuum leak, it was tuned about 5 months ago, is there a particular vacuum line I should check?

Dont forget about checking fuel pressure and the cam and crank sensor. YES, check near the intake manifold and gasket, and the throttle body and gasket.

Be sure to check all vacuum hoses and vacuum lines as well. They all get engine vacuum from the intake manifold.

So if one of them are leaking vacuum, it can and will cause this sort if issue. It might just be that simple.

I hope this helps! Please don't forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "excellent service" so I get credit for the time and knowledge that I have shared with you in a timely manner.

Best Regards

Amedee

if there was an code for this vacuum issue what do you think that would be? I was changing the radio out a few days ago and took off the battery cable which reset the PCM and I only drove it 29 miles afterwards so it most likely would not display any data, is that correct?

Thats correct. It would take the computer a while to trigger a code related to this issue. Are you asking me what code it would flag if there was a vacuum leak? It would be a P0171 lean code.

That is from the computer when it sees the oxygen sensor too lean for too long.

do I run it in park or does it need to drive to complete the reest to get a code? since you suggest so many possibilities that might narrow down the problem

The vehicle needs to be driven.

about how many miles?

That all depends on the issue, the severity of the issue and other factors. My experience has been that the computer will pick up on this problem and flag a code after 2 or 3 days of driving.. maybe sooner.

okay I will try that then get back to you for more help by phone,do you answer questions that way, I know there is an extra cost

YES, I would prefer to speak on the phone rather than chat on line.

You can request a phone call right now if you would like.

I can talk now

fine I will do so once the unit resets and I get a code or codes for you

Ok sounds good! I do ask that you rate my service now for answering your questions.

We can do the phone call thing later after you get the codes.

You should see the rating system towards the bottom of the page

Hello!

It's Amedee from just answer. I am just checking in to see how things turned out and if you need further assistance? Please let me know.

Amedee

Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician