camerontech
camerontech, Technician
Experience:  diagnostic auto tech
89602740

I have a 1998 Jeep GC that has a knocking sound but only

Customer Question

I have a 1998 Jeep GC that has a knocking sound but only when engine is under load. Engine has 199,000 miles. Any ideas what may be causing this?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  camerontech replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

My name is ***** ***** I am a licenced diagnostic technician with over 20 years experience.

I will do my best to help you with your automotive problem. Please remember, I cannot see, hear or feel your vehicle which can make diagnosing very complicated and some vehicle require extensive diagnotics that require certain diagnostics computers that can not be done over a computer or phone.Please be patient as I am not online 24 hours a day, as I do work, but I do check my page every day.A positive rating is always appreciated for my time and knowledge to help you with your problem.

Noises can be a little diffficult to diagnose over the computer, but ill do my best to steer you in the right direction.

Generally, a knock that is only heard under load is usually the bottom end (rod bearings). it will sound more like a lower pitch thud than a valve train knock.

One thing you can also check is the flywheel bolts and make sure they are tight, this can also give the same sound as a bottom end knock.

I would really suggest popping by a auto tech to have them listen to it. A experienced tech should be able to listen to that and let you know what or how far he has to climb into it to determine where the noise is coming from.

Any other questions please let me know!

i appreciate any positive ratings!

cam