Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

Cooling fans do not operate. replaced with new fan assy swap

Customer Question

Cooling fans do not operate. replaced with new fan assy swap the 2 lo/ hi fan relays still the cooling fan does not kick in. Not even when the a/c compressor kicks in the fan does not work
Category: Jeep
Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

do you have the vin handy so I can get the correct wiring diagram?

and what's your skill level can you read and follow a wiring diagram and use a test light properly and a digital volt/ohm meter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

1J4GK48K14W133627

Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

thanks now I still need your skill level

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

medium..taught there is a cooling fan relay on this but cannot find it

Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

have you checked fuse 2 in the UNDERHOOD fuse box that fuse feeds the entire fan circuit including the relays, can you follow a wiring diagram?

I need to know your skill level so I can tailor my answers to your skills

Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

your going to need a test lamp if the fuse is good, and you have a 2004 liberty NOT a 2003 which is wired slightly different than the 04 you have

Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

also you do know the fans do not come on until 220 degrees correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Checked all fuses with a lamp all good. When AC compressor kicks in fan should on as well. It doenst

Expert:  bill replied 1 year ago.

NO the fan kicks on when NEEDED or when the a/c pressure rises ABOVE around 250 psi below that [pressure the fan DOES NOT cycle on.

so lets see if there really is a problem, does the jeep overheat?

how long have you allowed the jeep to run before deciding the fans are not coming on?

these fans WILL NOT come on UNTIL 220 degrees so if you haven't allowed the jeep to run long enough OR if you're in a cool area the fans will take a long time to cycle on.

a fast test BUT WILL SET A CHECK ENGINE LIGHT is unplug the coolant sensor WHILE THE jeep is running if the fans cycle on the entire control circuit is ok