Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

I just bought a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited and I would

Customer Question
like to know how to...
I just bought a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited and I would like to know how to disconnect the GPS antenna (for navigation - not for radio), as well as physically disable Uconnect. (I understand that this may entail removing a SIM card or some other action). Thank you for the assist! Please include diagrams and tools needed along with estimated time of completion.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Jeep
10/19/2015
Jeep Mechanic: Brad, Jeep Dealership Tech replied 2 years ago
Brad
Brad, Jeep Dealership Tech

Good evening and welcome to JustAnswer!!

The navigation antenna is integrated into a roof-mounted combination antenna that also receives satellite audio and cellular signals, so if you disconnect it you won't have Sirius or Navigation, also it will disable Uconnect from calling out...

Are you just wanting to disconect the antenna, and what do you mean by disconnect the Uconenct? The Uconnect uses the radio, RFM, radio, mirror to operate.. What would you like to do?

Talk soon,

Brad

Is there a way to stop outgoing communication from uconnect as well as GPS? I would like the ability to reconnect them as this car is leased...
I would prefer not to interfere with sxm - if possible.
What if I were to disconnect it on the back of the stereo? Would that be possible to disconnect GPS and Uconnect without disconnecting the rest?

Sorry for the delay!!

Yes if you were to disconnect the Blue connector it will disable the GPS/XM/UConnect.. If the vehicle is equipped with satellite audio, a combined antenna for AM/FM and satellite and navigation is used.

• Radio Receiver Module - The RRM contains the central components of the navigation system. In addition to a 213 millimeter (8.4 inch) color electronic touchscreen display, a navigation module is internal and integral to each RRM that is equipped with navigation capability. The navigation module contains all of the navigation system hardware and software. Hardware includes the GPS receiver, an electronic gyroscope, a microcontroller and flash memory for system software and map data storage.

The Global Positioning System (GPS) receiver of the navigation module is capable of acquiring and tracking GPS signal inputs through the roof-mounted combination antenna from numerous satellites simultaneously to calculate and display the position and direction of the vehicle. However, when access to satellite signals is blocked by bridges, tunnels or other obstacles, the navigation module relies upon Dead Reckoning (DR) to aid in calculating vehicle position and direction. The navigation module uses pulse signals from the wheel speed sensors, a Reverse gear indicator input and an internal electronic gyroscope sensor to provide DR vehicle position and direction calculations to supplement GPS satellite signals.

The easiest thing to do if you wish to stay off the grid is to disconnect the blue GPS antenna and have to deal with not having other features.. And when you turn it back in just plug it back in...

Let me know,

Brad

Thank you for the positive rating,

Brad

Do you have a circuit diagram for the antenna and radio as well as instructions on how to disconnect the cable on the back? Thanks.

If I could get the VIN number I would be glad to get that for you..

Talk soon,

Brad

Brad
Brad
Brad, Jeep Dealership Tech