Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

I have a 1976 CJ5 jeep that runs rough. The has been

Customer Question

I have a 1976 CJ5 jeep that runs rough. The carburetor has been rebuilt. New gas tank, new sending unit and new plugs. Still running rough.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. Thereare several other things that can cause a rough running problem besides the fuel system. Things to check are 1 engine compression, spark plug wires, distribuor cap and rotor, a stuck open EGR valve (if equipped ) vacuum leaks and restricted or plugged exhaust. The first though is to perform a compression test. All 6 cylinders should be around 140 to 165psi, and should be within 25 psi of each other. If it is low, then suspect a valve problem and remove the cylinder head and send it out for a valve job.

I hope that this information is helpful and please let me know if you need further assistance.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
could it be in the wiring?
Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hmmmm, I doubt it . If it was wiring, then it probably wouldn't even run.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Maybe the plug wires though.

Chris

Expert:  Chris replied 1 year ago.

Hello, just checking back to see if you received my last reply, and if so do you still need help with your problem? Please remember, the website will not automatically credit me from your deposit or subscription without your Rating! Please, use the Rating System Box and Rate our Q&A session today or. If you need to ask more questions, please feel free to ask!

Thank you!

Chris