eauto
eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase mechanic 16 Plus years in the field
6149662

I have a 2006 Jeep liberty 2 Will Dr. and the car is

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Jeep liberty***** and the car is overheating I have changed out the thermostat as well as the water pump and after I drive for a 15 min the jeep overheats , when I open the hood I noticed that the water is boiling in the reservoir What
is my next move
Category: Jeep
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

next move it to check for a bad head gasket or warped or cracked heads.. A leak down test or combustion leak test is helpful in he diagnosis

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not losing water and I just change my oil and my oil looks fine
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

have you pulled the plugs to look for coolant wash?

Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

not all head gasket failures result in intermix...I would start there

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK the plugs are all dry what should I look at next besides taking it to a shop is there a sensor or anything of that nature what about the radiator
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

its possible that the radiator is plugged not common but a possibility...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you're saying that no censor anything other than what I've changed or what we've talked about will affect this problem
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

no sensor will cause a overheat... a failed fan clutch would cause a run hot situation

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The fan is running when it's hot
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

does it have a clutch fan also?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You know a lot more about this car than I do does it come with the clutch fan
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

it should do you know how to check?

Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

VISCOUS FAN DRIVE

If the fan assembly free-wheels without drag (the fan blades will revolve more than five turns when spun by hand), replace the fan drive. This spin test must be performed when the engine is cool.
For the following test, the cooling system must be in good condition. It also will ensure against excessively high coolant temperature.

WARNING: BE SURE THAT THERE IS ADEQUATE FAN BLADE CLEARANCE BEFORE DRILLING.

1. Drill a 3.18-mm (1/8-inch) diameter hole in the top center of the fan shroud.
  2. Obtain a dial thermometer with an 8 inch stem (or equivalent). It should have a range of -18°to 105°C (0°to 220°F) . Insert thermometer through the hole in the shroud. Be sure that there is adequate clearance from the fan blades.
  3. Connect a tachometer and an engine ignition timing light (timing light is to be used as a strobe light).
  4. Block the air flow through the radiator. Secure a sheet of plastic in front of the radiator (or air conditioner condenser). Use tape at the top to secure the plastic and be sure that the air flow is blocked.
  5. Be sure that the air conditioner (if equipped) is turned off.

WARNING: USE EXTREME CAUTION WHEN THE ENGINE IS OPERATING. DO NOT STAND IN A DIRECT LINE WITH THE FAN. DO NOT PUT YOUR HANDS NEAR THE PULLEYS, BELTS OR FAN. DO NOT WEAR LOOSE CLOTHING.

1. Start the engine and operate at 2400 rpm. Within ten minutes the air temperature (indicated on the dial thermometer) should be up to 93°C (200°F) . Fan drive engagement should have started to occur at between 91°to 96°C (195°to 205°F) . Engagement is distinguishable by a definite increase in fan flow noise (roaring). The timing light also will indicate an increase in the speed of the fan.
  2. When the air temperature reaches 93°C (200°F) , remove the plastic sheet. Fan drive disengagement should have started to occur at between 62°to 85°C (145°to 185°F) . A definite decrease of fan flow noise (roaring) should be noticed. If not, replace the defective viscous fan drive unit.
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

this is a pic of it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am nothing like that
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

ok so yours just has elec fans..then I would have the heads and head gaskets checked