Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a 2002 jeep liberty 4wd 3.7l ....has 6 new

Customer Question

I have a 2002 jeep liberty 4wd 3.7l ....has 6 new injectors....it won't run without foot on pedal....and smokes ....within running 4 or 5 minutes both converters are red hot....but plenty of pressure from exhaust....no codes whatsoever.....no valve noise.....intake
suckin very hard.....and most like it's out of time somehow.....but it's getting way too much fuel...absolutely ....... any ideas?...did this before injector replacement as well.....customer just wanted them replaced. .... this went from normal to this condition
while driving....and parked at light. .....no codes then either...
Category: Jeep
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now it has a p0500 code for speed sensor....still horrible smoke.....red converters. .....like its way out of time.....took off drivers side valve cover to check for rocker arms....all ok.....haven't done passengers side......I hear these are bad for crank key shaft shearing. ....all day dropping valve seats.......any suggestions ?
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Have you done a compression test to check the timing?

Have you checked for vacuum leaks, wrong fuel pressure, incorrect reading MAF sensor?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Vacuum yes....fuel pressure not at rail.......and compression for timing no.....how will compression on each cylinder tell me if it's jumped time?

When doing a compression test. You want to see 160 plus psi but more important the highest and lowest reading within 10% If a reading is to low then this indicates there is a possible valve open on the compression stroke resulting in low compression indicating a possible timing jumped issue.

The converters a red hot from to much fuel getting into them. That happens from high fuel pressure, valves open when they should not be, injectors spraying to long, not enough air getting into the engine, MAF sensor reading wrong.

-----------PLEASE READ THIS------------

1. First of all, thanks for using Just Answer, and Thanks for letting me try to help you.

2. Sorry about the wait, we try our best to get to everyone fast.

3. Do not mistake the above or following posts from me as my last one. We can ask each other many questions, and I can post many answers.

4. I base my response on what you tell me, I am not there to see, smell, or hear, so please factor that in.

5. On your screen you see a rating. That is how I'm paid from your deposit for helping you. I am going to keep checking in on you to make sure your pleased with my help. Let me know if your planning to rate at a later date if not now.

6. If you decide to rate BAD it doesn't result in a refund, please respond first so I can help more.

7. I'm here normally 3pm-3am central everyday. Thanks again, Chris (aka-Moose)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gotcha ....give me a few and I'll get the numbers....

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
150 psi on 1..3...4...5...6...... (0) on #2....
50psi on fuel rail when key on then quickly to 0.....50 psi while keeping it running.....is valve seat dropped keeping valve open....?

Bring cylinder 2 up to TDC compression, then apply air to the cylinder while holding the crank and see where the air escapes, the intake or exhaust (valve issues) or the oil fill cap (rings)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2 Intake rocker laying In top of the head

Glad you found the issue.