Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

The check engine light in our 2004 jeep grand Cherokee just

Customer Question
came on...
The check engine light in our 2004 jeep grand Cherokee just came on
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Jeep
9/27/2015
Jeep Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 2 years ago
Pete, Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help with this today.I apologize for any delay.

The check engine light coming on can indicate several different components at fault as this light will come on for sensor and solenoid/actuator issues with the engine and poor engine running as well as transmission component faults or shifting issues.In some cases just a loose gas cap will also cause this as this will set an evap fuel tank emissions leak code.

What needs to be done from here is to have a scan tool connected to your vehicle to read out all fault codes that are setting with this fault here.This has to be done with a scan tool that will plug into your vehicle and communicate with the engine computer.Most shops or a dealer can do this and some local parts stores might do this at no cost to you to tell you the code that has set.

Once this has been done any codes set need diagnosed to locate and correct the fault here.If you can get the codes checked and post the code info here this will help just let me know.

If the engine and transmission are operating properly with this light on it may just be a minor component at fault and as long as it is running and driving o.k. you can probably wait if needed a day or two before having it checked into.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Thank you!!

Your welcome.If you need anything else let me know and feel free to rate my help.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Technician