eauto
eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase mechanic 16 Plus years in the field
6149662

Found an 87 Cherokee to buy, has 207k miles just wondering

Customer Question

Found an 87 Cherokee to buy , has 207k miles just wondering what to look for as this will be my daughters first car and my first jeep
Category: Jeep
Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

Is this a 2 or*****

Expert:  eauto replied 1 year ago.

1. Too many miles is relative. The 4.0 engine can last forever (300k+) if well taken care of. That being said, I personally would try to find one under 150k.
2. http://www.oramagazine.com/pastissue...rticle=finesse This article gives a great rundown of all the generations and the basic pros and cons of each. If you get the newest generation try to stick to the 97-99.
3. With all cars, not just Jeeps, stay away from rust. This is more important to cherokees since they are a unibody. Rear main seal is a tough painful leak that can be common.
4. Try to get a good idea on how well maintained it has been. Ask about fluid changes or oil leaks. Also its good to buy an XJ from a single owner.
5. This all depends on what you want. I personally don't need my XJ to be dent free and rust free..
6. If you get a 97-01 gen cherokee you will have a better probability of getting an overall better running Jeep. If you want to breathe new life into an older one, expect to be replacing ball joints, motor mounts, bearings, sensors, bushings...
7. Again, you could drive these things to the end of the earth if you maintain it.
8. Always have a pre purchase check done by a repair shop..
What I love about XJs is their practicality and simplicity. The are so easy to work on (granted they don't have rust). Definitely a great vehicle for many different purposes