cwalkerjr21
cwalkerjr21, Mechanic
Experience:  Shop training and hands on experience.
73583367

I have a Rubricon 2012 model that will not start. It rotates

Customer Question

Hi Chris - I have a Rubricon 2012 model that will not start. It rotates the motor and everlything looks normal, except that the engine does not fire. It behaves almost like it is out of gas.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  cwalkerjr21 replied 1 year ago.

Hello will the vehicle start if you use starting fluid?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have not tried that. Would that help with a new car like this. It has been running perfectly until all of a sudden this morning. I could goto Autozone and get it and try. I was also reading about this possibly being the crank shaft sensor?

It could be just a bad fuel pump. Please try the starting fluid if it still will not start than please check for spark on the plugs. If it does start on the starter fluid than it could be the fuel pump or plugged fuel filter. I can walk you through all the steps but first need to run the test with starting fluid.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey new twist. I just went out there after it had been sitting all day and now it starts! My wife tried starting it late this morning and at that point it did not even turn the engine and was completely dead (she heard a click when turning the key).

Okay that is a totally different issue. Sounds to me like you have a weakened battery. Do you have a voltmeter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its 12.5V at rest

With the vehicle running what is the voltage across the battery?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is 13.8V while idling. When I tried starting it in the morning, it turned the motor like it does normally. Just like it was out of gas.

Interesting so it was turning over but not starting, but than it wouldnt turn over just clicked. The battery connections could be the cause if they have some corrosion on the terminals. But if there is none I would still have the local parts store do a battery test and verify the cranking amps are within specification. If the issue happens again with it not starting spray a little starting fluid in there if it will fire up what we may have going on here is a fuel issue. Could be you got some bad fuel so it is having some problems. This time of the year they change the fuel out there is a winter and summer blend. It is possible you got some bad stuff on the last fill up. You can get a bottle of fuel system cleaner. This will take care of any goop that is in the system. I would monitor it close to see if you notice a drop in MPG this can indicate a failing fuel pump dropping the pressure making the vehicle work much harder at its job.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will do that tomorrow morning, if it will start :)Thank you!

You are welcome, let me know how it goes. I will walk you through anything you need help with. Thanks and have a great night!!