Brad
Brad, Jeep Dealership Tech
Experience:  19 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep. ASE Master (L-1) Certified
10114124

05 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 6cyl 4.0 -my engine dies while

Customer Question

05 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 6cyl 4.0 -my engine dies while driving, typically only after the engine warms up (over 15 miles of travel). Engine threw codes for cam and crankshaft position sensors, both of which I have now replaced twice in past 90 days.
Now the engine also throws code 0016 which I can't track down, as well as 0336.
When the engine dies, it bucks first but can usually be re-started while in motion. In the past year (more than 4 months ago) this would be sufficient and the jeep would be fine for the rest of the ride.
Recently though, the re-start will either die again almost immediately, or the engine will rev repeatedly every second on its own, (but never get above roughly 2000rpm) and then die.
I have read that on the 05s, Jeep issued a warning without recall that the oil pump drive assembly is flawed. Is this possibly the problem?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoo and welcome to JustAnswer!!!

Can I get the last 8 of your VIN number? Also was it OEM sensors you used?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me grab those numbers. I got the sensors from advance auto.
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

I will say that aftermarket sensors are junk and I would use OEM electrical parts when needed..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, understood about the oem parts. But does the trouble I am experiencing and the 0016 error code fall in line with those two parts being faulty? Is there any chance that the oil pump drive assembly is involved?vin 5p311042
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

I ran your VIN and don't see any open recalls.. The P0016 is CRANKSHAFT/CAMSHAFT TIMING MISALIGNMENT and yes either sensor will cause this code.. If the codes reappear after using OEM sensors then you will need to follow this:

Case NumberK14338654

Vehicle IssueMIL on, : PCODES : P0016 : (D) : CRANKSHAFT/CAMSHAFT TIMING MISALIGNMENT, Attempting to set the sync and unable to locate the set sync on the DRBIII engine misc menu.;The DRBIII is at release 61.0 or prior.

System or ComponentBroken / Missing;DTC / Error Message,DRBIII Scan Tool / Accessories;Malfunction Indicator Light / MIL / Check Engine Light

RecommendationGo to the sensors menu on the DRBIII under cam/crank differance you can see the sync degrees.

Modification Date03/21/05 8:55 AM

if you don't have a DRBIII scantool you will need for a dealership to sync the cam crank to 0 degrees.. The PCM controls all the timing and if it's not at 0 deg then it will cause this code..

Brad