Brad
Brad, Jeep Dealership Tech
Experience:  19 Yrs Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep. ASE Master (L-1) Certified
10114124

2006 grand cherokee Laredo...having an issue where the

Customer Question

2006 grand cherokee Laredo...having an issue where the thermostat goes to 'h' very quickly. After tht had happened had 'transmission over temp' come up on the dash. When I shit the car down it would not restart. Waited 10 minutes, started up. Ran slightly rough but drove fine. Have had it checked out and all fluid levels are fine, fans are all working. No shifting issues. Have read that it could be an electrical issue....any thoughts?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon and welcome to JustAnswer!!

How often does it run hot and when it shows hot is it really hot? If the fan coming on to cool the radiator? What is the last 8 of your VIN number?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My sure what the vin is (car is at the shop currently and they said they couldn't fix it) and hat it was not mechanical but was electrical. First time the guage went to H was yesterday.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not sure what the vin
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No thanks on the call offer
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

So yesterday was the first time it ran hot? Do you have the 4.0 or 4.7 engine? Is your coolant overflow full? Was the fan coming on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi - Yes, yesterday was the first time that the temp gauge went to 'h'....have the 4.7 i believe. coolant is full and yes, the fan is coming on.
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the reply!!

Ok if the fan is coming on then I would like to know if it really is running hot or you have a temp sensor issue.. Do you have access to a IR Temp gun, if so shoot the top radiator hose and see if it's over 220. If yes then it's running hot and then you would need to feel the top and bottom to see if both are hot or one is cold. Since the fans coming on and if it's running hot then it's going to a flow issue, radiator, water pump, theromostat. If it's really not running hot I would try a coolant temp sensor.. If that doesn't do the trick then you will need a scantool to actually monitor the temperature sensor and see what it shows...

I hope this helps,

Brad