sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

I am trying to find the engine S/N on the Jeep Compass 2007.

Customer Question

Hi Dave, I am trying to find the engine S/N on the Jeep Compass 2007. It would be so helpful to be pointed in the right direction. Thank you, Maria
Category: Jeep
Expert:  bill replied 2 years ago.

here is a link to the location on either the 2.0 or 2.4 world engine that was used on the compass

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4n38nd9vmf857km/world%20serial.pdf?dl=0

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am still unable to find it, I will take it to the garage tomorrow and point them in the right direction, maybe its just dirt. If they don't find it I hope we can talk again tomorrow.
Thank You
Maria
Expert:  bill replied 2 years ago.

yes we can, be aware the engine is UPSIDE DOWN when you are looking at it

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you go under the car to find the number? Sorry I know nothing about cars!!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  bill replied 2 years ago.

yes the world engine in the compass (what we called it in the USA) the serial number is ***** the car between the bellhousing and oil pan you will likely have to pull a structural cover to get at it and read it

Expert:  bill replied 2 years ago.

I am sorry I DO NOT do live calls at this time if you like I can opt out and open it to an expert that does BUT outside the USA live calls are spotty at best

Expert:  bill replied 2 years ago.

the mechanic or dealer you take the car to, to get the number should have the lifts and tools needed to get the number and provide the necessary documentation you need

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hi,
Typed in a live phone call request.I assume you call me via the internet on the computer?
Expert:  bill replied 2 years ago.

no I DO NOT do live calls at all I prefer chat or email, the live call program has some issues that need sorting ye, as I said I can OPT OUT and allow another expert to assist via live call BUT OUTSIDE the USA live call is NOT AVAILABLE in some countries

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok, stick to chat then.
is the engine serial number the same as the engine number which is stamped on the block?
Expert:  bill replied 2 years ago.

the serial number will contain the year, engine displacement, sequence number,( the 4 digit number the factory used to determine the number the engine came out of the plant) whether or not is turbo charged engine plant and month day and hour the engine was built the breakdown is in the link I sent you it DOES NOT contain the vin NONE of the world engines contained any of the vin, this engine is a joint venture between Hyundai, Chrysler and Mitsubishi and was built in several plants around the world, if the serial number referenced is not enough for the country you are attempting to register the car in you may need a specialist company to provide the proper documentation

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In addition two days ago we removed the cover and looked in that area and found some faint possible numbers but they were too corroded to make anything out. surely that couldnt have been the right location as the numbers should last the life of the car i assume?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your answer, but I assumed the engine in my car, a 2007 CRD was a VW engine?
Expert:  bill replied 2 years ago.

sorry I must opt out all the info I have is for the 1.8 2.0 and2.4 engines no other

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
this is a deisel 2007 1968cc compass limited crd
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hi bill i know you've referred me to someone else but does the last bit of information i provided help? Plus my querie is urgent, so any idea how long it will take for someone to get back to me?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the reason i know it is a vw engine is that contacted Gary Burton at the Homologation Department at Fiat Chrysler Automobiles Uk limited. He stated that the last 7 digits of the vin are considered the engine number. Is this correct and is the number I will find stamped on the underside of the vehicle. Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i was told that in addition to the above by Mr Burton that there may also be a manufacturers engine number on the block?
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There is a serial number on the block. The number is ***** into the block and can be found from the top. It's on the rear of the block, near the transmission bellhousing, facing up. It's to the vehicle's left, and toward the rear of the vehicle, from the oil filter housing. They'll need to locate the oil fill housing and look just to the rear and to their right, toward the bellhousing, and the number will be on the engine block below.