Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

My 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee has the 3.7L. 79K. Giving me a

Customer Question

My 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee has the 3.7L. 79K. Giving me a random misfire code. replaced the spark plugs, and each cylinder ignition coils. still gives the code off an on. idles rough, bogs down, and wont go. then clears up and runs fine. Worse if in drive. sometimes runs better if I change to neutral for a minute.
Anyone got any ideas?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** sounds like you may have some carbon deposits on valves which are common on this engine. You can buy seafoam which is an engine cleaner. Suck it into engine using a vacuum line while engine is running. Then let it sit over night to soak and in the morning run in low gear at high rpm to burn out any carbon deposits on valves. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions. Thanks.