Jeep

Have Jeep Questions? Ask a Jeep Repair Expert for Answers

Jeep

Dome lights stay on, 2003 grand Cherokee, no broken wires in

Customer Question
Dome lights stay on, 2003...
Dome lights stay on, 2003 grand Cherokee , no broken wires in the drivers door, there are no door plungers on this model, dome lights are on while driving down the road,
Headlight switch is not all the way down,
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Jeep
Scan tool shows nothing. I pulled the fuse if not the lights would stay on even after the key is turned off.
9/8/2015
Jeep Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Technician replied 2 years ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

I am sorry for the delay in getting a response to you. Sometimes we get alot of customers and just can not keep up. Sometimes you just have to wait for the correct tech to login.

Do you even still need help. Sometimes customers seek help elsewhere or figure it out on their own before we get to each and everyone.

I am sure I can help a lot or a little at least something if you give me a chance and work with me. I am going to get an answer to you regardless if you reply or not sooner or later.

If your concern is urgent reply and let me know and if you have anything more you think will help me, to help you, let me know. I work on here normally 3pm-3am central.

Thanks Chris

I still need an answer.
Thank you
Derek

Is this just one lamp on or all courtesy lamps on?

If its just one then its a wire short to ground or internal switch in the lamp is bad.

Below is a link to the file I will be using.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/03jeepinterior.pdf

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Thanks Chris

All the dome lights are on in the vehicle while the ignition switch is on/ and all lights are on while your driving . I pulled the fuse thinking that would help, with the fuse out the lights are off while the ignition off, but while ignition is on or vehicle is running lights stay on even when fuse is out.
Also with the fuse out the automatic door locking feature does not work either

Is it fuse 8 which your removing?

Can you remove and unplug all 6 lamps remaining on, then remove the ground wires for the lamps at the fuse box under the left side of the dash.

Then we need to OHM test those 2 removed wires and see if they are grounded from a short.

Fuse 7 is the one I removed , the front lights and passenger door lights I can remove, but the back hatch light , unsure on how to remove from the headliner
I'm wondering to if it might be the air bag control module , I see from the wiring diagram it to is tied into the BCM , there was a recall for the air bag module but was on back order at the time we took it in,I have removed the bulbs all but the rear hatch light, also I have looked for the ground wires u spoke of near the fuse panel, I don't see any grounds going to chassis in that area

See if this link explains it better.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/escapestarter.pdf

U sent me a link on a hybrid, wrong person 😀

Well that did not help.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/INTlights.png

Oops try again.

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician