Kevin
Kevin, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Diagnostic technician
84635724

I have recently heard a rattling in my Jeep Cherokee 1995. A

Customer Question

Hello, I have recently heard a rattling in my Jeep Cherokee 1995. A week or two later the check engine light came on and I when I accelerate into 5th gear I lose power and can't accelerate pass 45mph. I took it to a mechanic to have a diagnostics test done and they said that the rattling was from the catalytic converter breaking and that I was losing power from the converter being in the exhaust pipe, clogging it when it moves around while I'm driving. Is $500 dollars a reasonable fee to clean that out? They will not be able to run a diagnostic check unless they clean it. Or could I be losing power some other issue?
Thank you
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.

Hi I'm Kevin it does sound a little expensive I would check that they are not replacing cat or removing insides as this is the type of cost I would expect and if it's rattling the insides being removed would be the least you could do cleaning wont help I would speak to them and just confirm what it is that they are proposing to do

Expert:  Kevin replied 2 years ago.

Did you get car sorted?