Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

I have a 2006 jeep liberty and my car wont start. the

Customer Question

I have a 2006 jeep liberty and my car wont start. the control panel lights up when the key is engaged, but it wont try to turn over (like a dead battery but its not dead)
i went under the car and crossed the connection on the starter and it trys to start the car.
I also thought it might be the wcm (wireless control mod.), but my keyless entry works.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome! The most common cause of this no crank condition is the ignition switch actuator shaft. It sits between the lock cylinder and ignition switch. You could go directly there and pull things apart or you could do some electrical testing first.

At the starter relay, make sure that power is coming to the relay on terminal #30 all of the time, and make sure that terminal 86 gets power in the "crank" position. Also, dont forget to check the transmission range sensor as well. You can ground pin #38 of the C3 connector at the Powertrain Control Module and see if vehicle cranks over. This test verifies the integrity of the wiring between the starter relay and the PCM.

Amedee

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
how can i test to see if power is constant at the starter relay
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
also were is terminal 86, in relay 38 there isnt a relay there
Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.

Hello! You can use a test light or a voltmeter to check for power.

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.

Just look for the starter relay in the PDC center under the hood.

Expert:  Amedee replied 2 years ago.

Hello! It's Amedee from just answer. I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance?