AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner
77606712

1995 jeep wrangler rio grande major oil leak at oil flter

Customer Question

1995 jeep wrangler rio grande major oil leak at oil flter gasket. change oil filter the old filter has the gasket push out of the reset area about 3/4 inch. my queation is when the oil pressue build up is there a blockage between the oil filter and pan when it build up to oil pressure and blow out the gasket?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 2 years ago.

The oil filter gasket fits in a groove. I cant see oil pressure blowing the gasket out of that groove. Are you sure that there weren't 2 gaskets on top of each other? sometimes when the old filter is removed the rubber gasket is left behind and goes unnoticed. then when the new filter is installed the rubber gasket from the old filter has no support surrounding it and can definitely blow out. Is it possible that this is what is happening?

Did you get it figured out?

If my answer has helped you, please remember to accept and rate me so I can get credited. If you need more assistance, please let me know and I will do everything I can to help.