Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

2002 jeep grand Cherokee. When driving a 40 mph the jeep

Customer Question

2002 jeep grand Cherokee. When driving a 40 mph the jeep develops a vibration. When driving 65 to 70 the jeep vibrates violently and a loud rubbling sound which sound like the rear diff. I replaced the rear diff and no change. I then realized the front
drive shaft had a bad u joint that connected to the front diff. Replaced the u joint and the problem is still there. I took out the front drive shaft and the jeep drives like new. No vibration or rubbling sound. I put the front drive shaft back in and the
vibration and loud roaring sound is back. I then replaced the front drive shaft with another good used one and the vibration and roaring noise is still there. The chances of both drive shafts being un balanced is minimal. So, the question is what is wrong
could it be the transfer case. 1) If the front diff were bad whether or not the drive shaft is in, it would roar... its not the rear diff because I replaced it. If the front diff were bad it wouldn't matter if the drive shaft is in or out but when the front
drive shaft is out the Jeep drives like new. The problem is that I don't know the internal workings of the transfer case... The next thing I tried I took the front drive shaft out and put the Jeep into 4wd high. No vibration or noise but when I got the jeep
up to 60 mph and let off the gas to decelerate I heard the transfer case make a popping noise and it went into neutral. I had to stop the jeep completely and then shifted it back into 2wd and the transfer case engaged and the jeep drove normal. I put in back
into 4wd high without the front drive shaft again and upon deceleration the transfer case popped out of gear again. Should the transfer case behave this way when the front drive shaft is out? I'm lost at this point... any ideas?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 2 years ago.

Based on what you have done, there is a concern in the transfer case or all 4 tires are not the same size, brand, age, and tread depth.

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.

Thanks Chris