Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

My 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 hemi goes into limp mode

Customer Question

My 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 hemi goes into limp mode then the coolant fan sound loud
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 2 years ago.

Do you know which trouble codes are stored?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There are no trans codes I have a new snap on scanner I drove it for about 20 miles last week in limp mode hope to get a trouble code but still no codes that s what trouble me now in the morning I was going to check the coolant sensor I head that why my fan are very loud sound here the problem if I go now start the jeep Cherokee 5.7 and put it in drive it works good if I just go around the block n turn it off it's not even hot the engine turn it of then turn it on put in drive it goes to3 gear then the limp mode starts I have. To wait about an hour start it then it goes to drive new solenoid pack n EGR Val what else can I do is it the electric shifter maybe sorry for the delay
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Or I was thinking tcm module can I bypass the limp mode if possible ?thanks for any help

For the warning lights to come on, there has to be codes. Are you sure your scan tool can communicate with the TCM?

Will your tool allow for monitoring the trans and coolant fluid temp sensors to see why the fan is running at high speed?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'll check the data on the solis snap on scanner also after driving it for about 20 miles I should have got a trouble code I even did the key on n off 3 time it came back none codes . what about the input n out put sensor on the trans side I think there call sp sensor would those make it go limp mode again thanks for your help I'll send you a message Monday

Any sensor failure on the transmission can send a vehicle into limp mode and quite a few on the engine as well.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok today sorry for the delay but at work with the scanner on the engine no codes on the transmission no codes but I saw on the transmission data I saw that it said limp- in- status EATX in limp -in so will that help you fig out or help you in any way what does that mean EATX ??? And also I check the engine coolant sensor data seem to be working ok so this morning I got to work started the jeep put in drive and did good turn it off no more than 30 sec turn it on again put it in drive but went to 3 gear it wasn't even on for less than a min then when it went into limp mode the coolant fan sounds like a 747 jet loud fan ???

Did you check the trans fluid temp sensor reading while using the scan tool?

The computer has to be getting a high temp reading from the engine or trans to turn the fan on high.

EATX is short for electronic automatic transmission.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I check the temp and volts on the engine n trams there were all normal and also check all fuses and relays I don't know what else to do no codes is what getting to if I would have a code on trans or engine that would help what get to me if I start it I drive all day as long that I don't turn it off it will run shift good doesn't over heat shift good 1 2 3 and D BUT AS SOON AS I TURN IT OF N TURN IT ON IT GO TO 3 gear n limp mode

I tried, but I do not believe I can figure this out not in person. Going to opt out and let another try.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What do you mean opt out don't understand r you giving up because I trying to give u as much info I can